Summary: Supervises staff in; the performance of their daily duties; assigning, monitoring and approving quality of work performed in the Water/Waste Water Division.
Salary: Hiring Range: $26.349 - $28.953
Distinguishing Characteristics: This is the first line supervisor within the Water Division and serves in the absence of the Water Division Manager. This position reports directly to the Water Division Manager.
Essential Job Functions: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. The list that follows is not intended as a comprehensive list; it is intended to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed, and may be required to perform additional, position-specific tasks.
- Supervises repairs, construction and maintenance on water valves, mains, services and components. Directs maintenance programs on water and wastewater collection systems, assists maintenance and construction crews as needed.
- Schedules and assigns work related to the construction, installation and maintenance of water and wastewater utility systems. Trains assigned personnel in medium and heavy equipment operation. Assures appropriate staffing, equipment, tools and materials are at work sites to complete assigned projects.
- Participates in highly skilled duties and operates heavy equipment in the installation, construction, maintenance and repair of water transmission lines, water valves and mains.
- Inspects work to assure compliance with work orders and applicable federal, state and local quality and safety standards and regulations.
- Schedules water line taps, using tapping machines to connect water main lines and water services and assists with utility line locates.
- Schedules installations and maintainance of water meters, hydrants, and other appurtenances, including wasterwater systems.
- Prepares and maintains a variety of records related to assigned work.
- Responds to emergency and off-hour situations as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of advanced practices and techniques involved in the installation, construction and maintenance of water transmission and distribution wastewater collection systems.
- Knowledge of policies and objects of water division projects and activities.
- Knowledge of principles of supervising, training and providing work direction.
- Knowledge of methods, equipment and materials used in skilled maintenance work.
- Knowledge of applicable codes, ordinances and regulations.
- Knowledge of safe work practices, including hazards and safety precautions and procedures related to working around water distribution and wastewater collection systems.
- Knowledge of geography and various methods for describing and presenting location and distribution of utilities.
- Skill in performing highly skilled duties in the installation, construction, maintenance and repair of water transmission and distribution lines and wastewater collection systems.
- Skill in repairing water valves.
- Skill in reading, interpreting and understanding plans, blueprints, schematics and other drawings.
- Skill in identifying and resolving system and equipment malfunctions associated with water transmission and distribution and wastewater collection systems.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with others.
Education, Experience, Certifications and Licenses:
- High School diploma or equivalent GED certificate.
- Four (4) years work experience with water transmission and/or distribution systems.
- Valid State of Arizona Driver’s license (Class B) with Tanker endorsement.
- ADEQ Grade II Water Distribution Certificate required. Ability to obtain and maintain ADEQ Grade III Water Distribution Certificate within one year of employment.
- ADEQ Grade I Wastewater Collection Certificate required. Ability to obtain and maintain ADEQ Grade II Waste Water Collection Certificate within one year of employment
Environmental Factors and Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Work is performed in external environments with exposure to inclement weather, and varying temperatures, subject to noise from equipment operation and in confined or restrictive work spaces.
- Subject to digging, twisting, reaching and twisting while working at heights or on the sides of walls and other structures, climbing in and out of trenches, standing and sitting for extended periods of time, walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending at the waist, reaching, kneeling, and carrying and lifting heavy objects up to 100 pounds.
- Subject to reaching overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally.
- Subject to toxic chemicals, vapors and fumes, heat and sparks from welding, working around and with machinery having moving parts, working at heights on suspended pipelines and working around moving traffic.
Click here to apply: Employment Application