The City of San Mateo Public Works Department is looking for an experienced Wastewater Treatment Plant Operations Superintendent
Compensation: $10,387 to $12,387 Monthly
Why Join our Department?
The Public Works Department’s Environmental Services Division (ESD) is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the City’s 15.7 million gallon per day (MGD) conventional activated sludge wastewater treatment plant (WWTP). The WWTP serves a population of more than 140,000 with an annual operating budget in excess of $10 million and has a staff of 28 professional and technical personnel. Planned upgrades to the WWTP include new liquids treatment process facilities consisting of new headworks, primary treatment, and biological nutrient removal/membrane bioreactor (BNR/MBR) process.
When you join the Public Works Department, you will work among collaborative and energetic colleagues who share a passion for serving our San Mateo citizens and improving the community in which we live and work. Our team is comprised of individuals with diverse talents and experience in various fields. We will provide you with a wide range of opportunities in a team-based collaborative environment while helping you achieve your professional goals.
What You’ll Do
The WWTP Operations Superintendent reports to the WWTP Manager and is responsible for assigning, supervising, managing, and reviewing the work of the operations staff of the City's wastewater quality control and processing plant using existing wastewater treatment processes. The WWTP Operations Superintendent exercises direct supervision over operations staff, including Shift Supervisors, Operators, Operators-in-Training. This position acts as and performs the duties of the designated Chief Plant Operator (CPO) and directs the activities of a Grade V wastewater treatment plant.
For a complete list of duties, reference our job specifications at www.cityofsanmateo.org
Who You Are
- A highly motivated individual who possesses thorough knowledge operations of a Grade V wastewater treatment plant and good working knowledge of plant maintenance and laboratory functions.
- An individual who possesses the ability to order tests and diagnose operating parameters and condition of waste treatment at any time.
- An individual who is knowledgeable of budgeting principles and techniques, principles and practices of project management, and principles and practices of supervision, training, and performance evaluation.
- An individual who possesses the ability to plan, schedule, and assign the work of subordinates in wastewater plant operations.
- An individual who desires to contribute to a positive work environment that fosters motivation, collaboration, coaching, and engagement of our workforce.
What You Bring
- You possess four years of experience in wastewater treatment plant operations, including two years of supervisory experience.
- You have the equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade supplemented by specialized academic training in the areas of chemistry and biology and specialized training in the operation of a wastewater treatment plant.
- You possess an active Grade V Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator Certificate issued by the State of California.
- You possess, or have the ability to obtain, a valid California driver’s license.
What We Offer
- Comprehensive benefits package including generous paid leave and health benefits
- CalPERS retirement 2% @ 55 for classic members; 2% @ 62 for new members. Classic employees contribute 7.5% to CalPERS and New members contribute 6.25% to CalPERS
- Participation in the Social Security Program
- City contribution of 1.5% of base salary to Deferred Compensation, and matching up to 1.0% of the Employee’s contribution
- Free Fitness classes through City of San Mateo Parks and Recreation, Employee Assistance Program and Credit Union Membership
- Bilingual Diff: $195 monthly (if applicable)
- Employee housing loan up to $7,500 for home purchase or rental move-in assistance in the City of San Mateo
- This classification is represented by the San Mateo Management Association
** SIGNING BONUS/REFERRAL AWARD** The Wastewater Treatment Plant Operations Superintendent hired from this recruitment will receive a signing bonus of $1,500 upon successful completion of probation. If an eligible merit City employee refers a candidate who is subsequently hired from this recruitment, he/she shall receive a $1,500 referral award in accordance with the City’s Targeted Recruitment Program Policy. The candidate must note the referring employee’s name on the City’s official employment application at the time he/she submits the application.
Recruitment will close by March 15, 2019 @ 5:00 p.m. or upon receipt of the first 50 applications, résumés (required), and supplemental questionnaires, whichever occurs first.
To apply and review the complete job announcement, including selection process, etc., go to www.calopps.org/city-of-san-mateo.