WE STRONGLY ENCOURAGE APPLICANTS TO READ THE JOB ANNOUNCEMENT
IN ITS ENTIRETY BEFORE SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION FOR THIS POSITION.
The City of Torrance is recruiting for a Water System Operator III to be part of the
Public Works Department's Torrance Municipal Water Division!
The Public Works Department's Division of Torrance Municipal Water (TMW) is a full service water agency with approximately 26,500 service connections that provides both retail and wholesale water service to approximately 80% of the City. Torrance Municipal Water is a leading water agency in the South Bay that prides itself on serving its customers in a cost-effective manner, with a reliable supply of high-quality water, essential to maintaining public health and safety, economic vitality, and community well-being.
As a part of the Torrance Municipal Water Division, the Water System Operator III leads crews and provides in-the-field technical expertise to entry and intermediate level Water System Operators. In this lead role, the Water System Operator III is responsible for planning work, ensuring safety, training crew members, troubleshooting, and responding to customer concerns in the field.
The Water System Operator III also performs the most complex skilled work in the installation, maintenance and repair of the City's water system, and performs water quality control and meter repair. The most frequent jobs include preventative maintenance, corrective actions, and emergency repairs to water mains, hydrants, and replacing valves. Performs related duties as required.
The availability to respond to emergency call-outs during and after normal work hours is a must.
- 3% premium pay for Water Distribution License Grade 4;
- 3½% premium pay for Water Distribution License Grade 5.
Any combination of education and experience that would have provided the knowledge and skills required is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and skills would be:
Equivalent to a high school diploma and four years of progressively responsible experience in the installation, maintenance, repair and/or inspection of water distribution facilities.
License and/or Certifications:
Must possess and maintain an appropriate, valid California driver's license; a Sate of California Department of Health Services Water Distribution License Grade D3 and a State of California Department of Health Services Water Treatment License Grade T2.
In addition to above, successful candidates will possess the following:
- Strong technical skills with the ability to motivate and lead a crew;
- Department of Health Services Water Distribution License Grade D4 or D5;
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing;
- Computer skills including knowledge of SCADA software;
- Flexibility to adapt to various work environments ranging from working in-house at the meter shop and water quality office to working in field;
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative relationships with co-workers, the public, other City departments and individuals from other agencies.
Interested candidates must submit an online City application and supplemental questionnaire at www.TorranceCA.Gov/Jobs
. Applications submissions will be accepted on a continuous basis until the position is filled.
Expiration Date June 6, 2020