Salary: $50,606.82 - $63,280.26 Annually
The City of Pasadena is seeking a skilled, journey-level, Senior Laboratory Technician to perform a variety of standardized analysis and examinations in support of departmental, environmental and safety services. Emphasis of workload is performing general physical and inorganic chemical analysis of drinking water. Other assignments will include: preparing sampling container, compose chain -of-custody worksheets, cleaning glassware and providing related ancillary laboratory services.
The ideal candidate possesses the ability to operate with a high degree of independence and exercise prudent judgment in applying knowledge and skills in the performance of standard laboratory procedures and related laboratory duties and possess experience utilizing spreadsheets and databases.
MUST APPLY ONLINE by 03/19/2020 11:59 PM Pacific
The major responsibilities of this position are listed below. For more detailed information, please review the job posting.
- Performs a variety of standardized analysis and examinations in support of departmental and environmental services. This includes inorganic chemical and general physical property analysis of drinking water.
- Operates, calibrates and maintains the following instruments: UV/VIS Spectrophotometer, pH Meter, Conductance Meter, Turbidimeter, and Hach
- Acts as a backup for microbiology analyses; reports test results within the established deadline periods.
- Enters data into spreadsheets and also uploads data to the Division of Drinking Water state database.
- Sustains a file system of all laboratory data including chain-of-custody worksheets, quality control records, and laboratory reports.
- Maintains laboratory safety equipment, supplies, Safety Data Sheets, follows the guidelines of the Chemical Hygiene Plan as well as disposes hazardous chemicals properly (following OSHA guidelines).
- Begin to grasp and understand the working principals behind Ion Chromatography and how to operate such instrumentation. Attend workshops and seminars as needed.
- Cleans all glassware, equipment and work area after use.
- Assists with archiving and digitizing older laboratory reports.
- Responds to staff (Engineers and Water Quality Operators) concerns of laboratory and water quality issues, and provides related ancillary laboratory services as requested.
The following list represent the core competencies needed for success in this position.
- Ability to Take Initiative - Keeps work commitments; works within time and budget constraints, takes pride in his or her work.
- Ability to Work Independently - Drives self to complete work without expectations of monitoring or help; is resourceful and independent.
- Attention to Detail - Takes extra care to finish a project or assignment to make sure there are no mistakes left undetected.
- Cooperate and Collaborate - Finds common ground and solves problems for the good of all involved.
- Communication Skills -Demonstrates ability to adjust communication style to ensure effective interaction with a variety of customers.
- Dependability - Works with a sense of urgency, shifting priorities to accomplish objectives as needed.
- Quality Focus - Monitors the quality of output and services and the processes used to produce them.
- Professional Integrity & Ethics - Displaying honesty, adherence to principles, and personal accountability.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Three years recent experience in an environmental or bio-science laboratory or a related area, performing chemical or biological analyses.
- Successful completion of college-level courses in chemistry, microbiology, higher mathematics or related sciences.
- Possession of a Grade II Water Treatment Operator Certificate is desirable.
- Possession of an AA or BS degree is desirable.
The selection process may consist of a training and experience evaluation, supplemental application review, interview panel, department-level interviews and possibly an online assessment.
Probationary work period is one year and this position is a part of the AFSCME bargaining unit.
There is currently one vacancy in the Water and Power Department.
The resulting eligibility list from this recruitment may be used to fill this vacancy and similar vacancies in the future.
Senior Water Quality Laboratory Technician Job Description
Must have or obtain Class C California drivers' license and a satisfactory driving record.
This is a great opportunity with an exciting career ladder. To learn more about our Water and Power department please click here:
Water and Power Department