The Supervisor, Distribution, Southern Division reports directly to the Manager, Utility Operations, Southern Division. This position schedules, coordinates, and provides field supervision of staff responsible for the operation and maintenance of the drinking water distribution system (approx... 400 miles water main and appurtenances) in Darien and Greenwich, CT... The Supervisor, Distribution reviews, resolves, and makes recommendations to the Manager, Utility Operations on improvements related to the distribution functions in the Southern Division.
Salary: $73,400.00 - $85,000.00 (Yearly Salary)
PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACTIVITIES
- Supervises and directs the activities of staff, including work assignments.
- Schedules, coordinates and provides field supervision of staff involved in maintenance, break fix and new construction activities of distribution system.
- Monitors, analyzes, and reports on staff productivity and quality of work. Identifies issues related to productivity and work quality, and implements solutions to address issues.
- Coordinates with the Planner/Scheduler to plan, prioritize, and schedule all activities related to the Company’s maintenance programs (including, hydrants, valves, leak survey and flushing).
- Expedites work flow, diagnoses and remedies day-to-day problems, assigns and instructs field employees.
- Executes and maintains required maintenance program in accordance with the regulatory agency requirements in Connecticut (PURA).
- Establishes schedules and methods for providing maintenance services, including identifying resource needs, reviewing needs with Manager, and allocating resources accordingly to achieve planned maintenance targets.
- Participate in the development of department goals and objectives as well as policies and procedures. Make recommendations for changes and improvements to existing standards and SOP’s. Monitors work activities to ensure compliance with company and industry standards.
- Interfaces on a daily basis with customer service department to resolve customer complaints for distribution system operations.
- Develops and implements technical work plans (e.g. hydrant-to-hydrant flushing plan)
- Responsible for maintaining an inventory of materials and equipment sufficient to support activities of the work group.
- Supervises the emergency response to system failures with contractors or department emergency response crews.
- Ensures proactive and positive labor relations, providing a climate where employees are encouraged to express views and receive answers in a timely manner.
- Assist the manager with performance evaluations.
- Participates in employee selection, disciplinary action, and complaint resolution.
- Identifies employee development needs (including training) and implements actions to address those needs.
- Ensures that employees are provided with and maintain a progressive occupational health and safety program, in accordance with Company policy.
- Responsible for ensuring the quality and timeliness of documentation of work activities, including ensuring that staff is documenting their work accurately in a timely manner.
- Responsible for ensuring the quality and timeliness of updates to infrastructure information (e.g. tap card updates, map updates, valve updates), including working with Engineering staff to continually improve the accuracy of data in GIS.
- Responsible for maintaining daily, weekly, and monthly communication with the Supply Operations to coordinate system operations.
- Perform inspection and supervision of contractors involved in emergency repair or capital programs.
- Alternates weekly stand-by rotation with the Manager, Utility Operations, Southern Division, a responsibility that requires the availability to address system emergencies on a 24-hour basis every other week.
- Other duties as assigned.
Applicants must have a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent; a minimum of seven (7) years experience in the utility environment, including two years of lead or supervisory experience. Must possess a CT Class III Distribution, or the ability to attain within 18 months of acceptance of position. Excellent communications, troubleshooting, communications and labor relations skills are required. Excellent interpersonal, communication, leadership and organizational skills. Ability to act in a self directed manner and make field decisions with minimal supervisory input.