JOB TITLE: Wastewater Division Manager
AGENCY: City of Modesto
LOCATION: Modesto, CA
FILING DEADLINE: This is an open recruitment; the first applicant review period will take place on Monday, July 18, 2022, at 5pm.
SALARY RANGE: $116,331.60-$141,396.96
This position receives direction from higher level management or department head staff and exercises direct and/or indirect supervision over assigned supervisory, technical, operations and maintenance, and administrative support staff.
- Plan, organize, and direct Wastewater Division activities, including overseeing the maintenance and operations of City wastewater collection and treatment facilities, and environmental compliance.
- Develop and implement divisional goals, objectives, policies, and procedures.
- Direct, oversee, and participate in the development of the Wastewater Division work plan; assign work activities, projects, and programs; monitor workflow review and evaluate work products, methods, and procedures.
- Prepare the Wastewater Division budget; assist in budget implementation; participate in the forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; administer the approved budget.
- Recommend the appointment of personnel; provide or coordinate staff training; conduct performance evaluations; implement discipline procedures as required; maintain discipline and high standards necessary for the efficient and professional operation of the Department.
- Identify and initiate needed capital improvement projects; review capital improvement plans related to the assigned services and provide input regarding future maintenance activities.
- Represent the division and department to outside agencies and organizations; participate in outside community and professional groups and committees; provide technical assistance, as necessary.
- Research and prepare technical and administrative reports; prepare written correspondence.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with coworkers, other City employees, and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Observe and maintain a safe working environment in compliance with established safety programs and procedures.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate has demonstrable direct, broad-based experience in wastewater management. Knowledge and oversight of critical areas such as: collections, operations, maintenance, environmental compliance, and wastewater facilities. The ideal candidate will possess the ability to lead 130 full-time employees in various capacities. This is a newly created position, and the successful candidate will effectively work with existing superintendents to ensure the success of the division.
The Wastewater Division Manager must be able to:
- Represent the Wastewater Division well and make effective presentations in public situations including City Council meetings and other community meetings in the absence of the Utilities Director or as assigned.
- Be diplomatic, inclusive and able to coach and mentor Wastewater staff, including supervising, training, and evaluating staff.
- Have a strong aptitude for clear, concise, and direct communication, as well as the ability to succinctly summarize complex information in an easy to understand manner.
- Have a leadership style that is characterized by integrity, ethical decision making, responsibility, and collaboration.
- Be a skilled and organized manager who will promote an atmosphere of teamwork and professional development.
- Possess strong interpersonal communication skills and be approachable and exhibit a high level of emotional intelligence.
In the heart of California’s great Central Valley lies the City of Modesto, an attractive, charming, and vibrant community exceeding 200,000. The city of “Water, Wealth, Contentment, Health” has long been known for its attractive amenities and convenient location in Northern California. Modesto is blessed with mild weather year-round and some of the world’s most fertile soil. As the seat of Stanislaus County government, Modesto has a rich agricultural history and has worked hard to diversify its economy. The quality of life in Modesto is one of its most attractive features. Many urbanites have relocated to this welcoming community, attracted by its smalltown atmosphere with big city amenities, reasonable housing prices, reputable school districts, and protected open spaces. Modesto is frequently cited as an ideal community in which to live and raise a family.
For more details about this opportunity, please visit: https://koffassociates.com/opportunities/.
Submit a complete online application here with the following required items: Resume; Cover Letter; and a list of three (3) professional references. Applications that do not include all required items are incomplete and will not be considered.
If you have any questions regarding this opportunity, please contact email@example.com or at 510-901-0044.
The City of Modesto is an equal opportunity employer encouraging workforce diversity.