City of Scottsdale
Water Services Worker IV - Water Distribution
Salary: $26.78 - $38.92 Hourly
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Job Type: Full-Time Regular
Department: Water Distribution
Closing Date: 9/12/2023 11:59 PM Arizona
At Scottsdale Water, we pride ourselves on delivering superior quality water and service to the Scottsdale community. Our employees ensure a safe, sustainable drinking water system, operate an innovative water reclamation system and help Scottsdale Water consistently maintain its position as one of the nation’s most advanced and efficient water utilities.
We value our employees and challenge them to constantly improve how we do business. Our team is made up ofprofessionals from all disciplines – engineering, finance, operations, laboratory science, chemistry, public relations,hydrology, customer service, electrical, maintenance and so much more.
About The Position
The Water Services Worker IV leads a crew that performs skilled work in the installation, maintenance, and repair of waterlines in the water distribution system and occasionally sewer lines in the collection system.
Please Note: First review of applications will be Wednesday, August 23, 2023, with weekly application review thereafter until closed.
The City of Scottsdale offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- 12 Paid Holidays, which includes 1 Floating Holiday
- Vacation Accrual; starts at 10.3 hours/month
- Sick Leave Accrual; 8 hours/month
- Medical (which includes behavioral health coverage), Dental and Vision Benefits
- City Paid Basic Life Insurance (equal to one times employee annual salary); option of Supplemental Life Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement; $2,500/year
- Participation in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) Defined benefit plan with mandatory employer andemployee contributions currently at 12.17% which includes a Long-Term Disability benefit
- Supplemental 457 Retirement Plans through Nationwide
- Pet Insurance
- Bilingual pay compensation
- For a more detailed overview of the employee benefits, click here.
The application and supplemental questions are an integral part of the selection process and must be completed in full in order for you to be considered as a candidate. Please complete each section and answer all questions as thoroughly as possible. DO NOT state “See Resume” in lieu of answering. Unanswered questions, incomplete responses, omissions, or partial information may result in disqualification from the selection process.
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process that may include a panel interview. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening that may include:
- Fingerprinting search of the national FBI Database
- Criminal Background screening
- Drug Screen
- 39-Month Motor Vehicle Department Records Check
Click here to be directed to the Scottsdale Water Careers webpage.
Click here to review the entire job description.
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time, potentially without advance notice.
PLEASE NOTE: Years of experience are based on a work schedule of 2,080 hours per year for full-time positions and 1,040 hours per yearfor part-time positions, and while work experience may substitute for education on a year-for-year basis, depending uponthe job classification, education may not be substituted for work experience.
Education and Experience
- High School diploma or General Educational Development (GED) equivalent.
- Two years of experience installing, maintaining, and repairing a water distribution system; or one year of experienceinstalling, maintaining, and repairing a water distribution system with one year of experience in plumbing construction, construction of other underground utilities, including gas, cable or electrical repair.
- Preferred: Municipal water distribution system experience.
Licensing, Certifications, and Other Requirements
The Scottsdale Water Resources Division offers an Operator Certification Incentive Program for those employees whoobtain certifications above what is required of their positions. The department recognizes the intrinsic value of operatorcertifications and the added value to the city of having a workforce that possess them.
- Must possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted driver's license with no major citations within the past 39 months priorto the start date.
- Must possess or obtain within 6 months of hire or promotion Grade 2 operator certification from the ArizonaDepartment of Environmental Quality within the discipline of Water Distribution.
- Must possess or obtain within six months of promotion or hire and maintain an Arizona Class "A" Commercial DriverLicense (CDL) with the Tanker endorsement.
- Must maintain a valid CDL with appropriate endorsements and will be subject to unannounced alcohol and drugtesting as required by law.
- Completion of a one-time training requirement that includes alcohol misuse training and controlled substance usetraining, in accordance with FMCSA regulation 49 CFR 382.603, within 60 days of hire.
- Every person employed by the City of Scottsdale shall reside in the State of Arizona during his or her activeemployment by the City, regardless of whether the employee is approved to remote work.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on department/sectionassignment.
- Qualifies for a DOT Medical Certification Card on a regular basis as determined by the authorizing DOT physician asappropriate to the job assignment.
- Maintains, repairs, replaces and adds to the water distribution and transmission system pipes, valves, hydrants,laterals and various other appurtenances.
- Operates a backhoe or other equipment to excavate damaged water and sewer lines.
- Determines the extent of damage to distribution and sewer lines and recommends proper repair methods.
- Performs water main shutdowns and notifies affected customers when water outages are necessary to performsystem work.
- Performs water line repair tapping and valve installation; tests water lines and refills trenches; repairs streets andsidewalks damaged during excavation.
- Operates a high velocity sewer cleaning truck for excavation or line clearing.
- Adjusts manhole cover heights and performs sewer line and lateral repairs.
- Trains, evaluates, and directs employees in daily activities.
- Observes and monitors data and personnel to determine compliance with prescribed operating and safety standards.
- Communicates with citizens and staff members in a professional and courteous manner.
- Provides input into the employee evaluation process.
- Submits reports on the performance of assigned Water Services Workers.
- 'Stands in' during the absence of a Water Services Worker V or Supervisor.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Lifting, bending, and stooping repeatedly and lifting arms above shoulder level.
- Digging or loading soil or other heavy material with a shovel.
- Periods in a backhoe, with vibration, jarring, and twisting.
- Carry large valve keys and turn them, requiring substantial upper body twisting and force.
- Remove manhole covers, requiring swinging a sledge hammer, prying off, and dragging the heavy covers.
- Work in trenches, manholes, and other confined and cramped spaces that may be muddy or in standing water.
- Lift and carry or drag heavy objects (up to 50 pounds) both short and long distances.
- Walk up and down stairs, climb ladders, and traverse rough terrain.
- Work in adverse conditions including extreme heat and cold, wind, rain, and loud noise.
- Operate a heavy pneumatic jack hammer.
- Operate a city vehicle to/from various worksite locations throughout the city, and operate city equipment, as needed.
- 10-hour days for 4 days/week are standard scheduled shifts.
- May work rotating weekend shifts, holidays, and a call-out schedule.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or marital status. When advised reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability toparticipate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation.
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR at (480) 312-2491. Requests should bemade 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Water Services Worker IV - Water Distribution Supplemental Questionnaire
This position requires a High School diploma or General Educational Development (GED) equivalent. Do you have a HighSchool diploma or GED?
Do you have a valid driver's license (not expired or suspended/revoked)?
Do you have any of the following restrictions on your driver's license? Please note that this does not include vision correction. i. Interlock Device. ii. Court Mandated Restricted Hours. iii. Other Non-Medical Restriction(s).
Do you have at least 1 year of experience installing, maintaining, and repairing a water distribution system with 1 year of experience in plumbing construction, construction of other underground utilities, including gas, cable or electrical repair? NOTE: If you answer yes to this question, you must include this information in the "Work Experience" section of your application.
Briefly explain your experience working on a municipal water distribution system. NOTE: If you have this experience, you must include this information in the "Work Experience" section of the application. If you don't have this experience, write"None."
Briefly explain your experience/knowledge in excavation with backhoe equipment. NOTE: If you answered yes to this question, you must include this information in the "Work Experience" section of your application.
Briefly explain your experience/knowledge of water transmission/distribution systems, sanitary/storm sewers or otherunderground utilities. NOTE: If you answered yes to this question, you must include this information in the "WorkExperience" section of your application.
Do you currently possess, or can you obtain within 6 months of hire or promotion a Grade 2 operator certification fromthe Arizona Department of Environmental Quality within the discipline of Water Distribution? NOTE: If you currently have any Operator certifications, you must include this information in the "Certifications and Licenses" section of the application.
Briefly explain your experience with reading blueprints or quarter-section maps. NOTE: If you answered yes to thisquestion, you must include this information in the "Work Experience" section of your application.
Briefly explain your experience with training, evaluating, and directing employees in day-to-day operational activities.NOTE: If you answered yes to this question, you must include this information in the "Work Experience" section of your application.
Do you currently possess, or can you obtain within 6 months of hire or promotion and maintain an Arizona Class "A"Commercial Driver License (CDL) with the Tanker endorsement? NOTE: If you currently have a CDL, you must includethis information in the "Certifications and Licenses" section of the application.