Posting Title: Temporary - Inventory Control Specialist II
Job Requisition Number: COA088918
Position Number: T61005
Job Type: Full-Time
Division Name: Austin Water Utility
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent plus three (3) years of experience in a warehouse/inventory control related field.
- Education may substitute for experience up to the maximum of two (2) years.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- Valid Texas Class C Driver’s License if required for the position
- If required for the position, legally mandated training must be completed within 1 year of employment.
This position will provide support at the following locations:
- Govalle – 911 Linger Lane, Austin, TX
- South Austin Regional -1017 Fairwell Lane, Austin, TX
- Ulrich – 1000 Forest View Dr. Austin, TX
- Davis – 3500 W. 35th Street, Austin, TX
- Tim Loviere – 6301-B Harold Court, Austin, TX
Working with Austin Water provides a number of benefits including medical,
paid leave time, a great retirement plan, training opportunities and more!
When completing the City of Austin employment application:
- Please be sure to detail on the application all previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications. Please include contact information from previous employers.
- A detailed, complete employment application is required. It helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Be sure to provide job title and employment dates for all jobs you wish to be considered.
If you are selected for hire:
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED, undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) is required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization or institution. You must also provide proof of your professional licenses or certifications.
- If you are in the military or are a military veteran, you will need to provide a copy of the Member 4 page of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
If you are selected to interview:
- Your skill level in some of the competency areas for this job – specifically Business Writing and Microsoft PowerPoint – will be assessed through skills testing with a required minimum passing score of 70%.
The person serving in this position must be able to perform tasks that involve bending, lifting, walking, carrying, and using a force equal to lifting up to fifty (50) pounds frequently, up to eighty (80) pounds occasionally, with or without accommodations. Frequent indoor & outdoor activity, such as: sitting, standing, walking, kneeling, squatting, bending, twisting upper body, climbing stairs and ladders, finger and manual dexterity, driving automobiles, operating other equipment and client/customer contact.
Driving Requirement: This position requires a Valid Texas Class C Driver License or the ability to acquire one by your hire date. External New Hires must meet the City of Austin Driver Record Evaluation (DRE), requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months.
Effective October 1, 2014, all Austin Water worksite locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any AW worksite – including construction sites, parking lot, garage lot, garage or in any personal vehicle located on the premises.
Pay Range: $20.00 – $22.00/hour
Hours: Monday-Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. with some flexibility on-call/call back as needed.
Job Close Date: 05/10/2023
Type of Posting: External
Department: Austin Water Utility
Grant Funded or Pooled Position: Not Applicable
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities: Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Receives, ships and verifies items assuring items received are accurate; inspecting condition of items; performing operational checks on equipment in inventory, comparing count/measure of items to purchase orders and packing lists, resolving discrepancies, and tracking delayed orders.
- Documents goods/services purchased, received and/or issued by recording identifying information using the appropriate tracking method and providing status updates to stakeholders on variances.
- Prepares items for shipment to ensure safe delivery and determines most economical and efficient shipping method. Documents items shipped by recording identifying information of items and transport information.
- Completes purchase requests by verifying inventory and specifications of purchase requests; preparing stock and equipment requisitions, inputting purchase orders, quotes and service requests, expediting deliveries and assisting with invoice processing.
- Replaces or repairs damaged or obsolete items using the appropriate tools and following internal guidelines.
- Resolves discrepancies in receiving by identifying damaged items and shortages and quantity of materials; placing materials in inventory, conferring with various entities to make adjustments; correcting the shortages and obtaining credits.
- Monitors and/or maintains inventory by applying fundamental control techniques; monitoring inventory level and replenishment lead times, anticipating needed items, updating inventory forecasts, minimum and maximum stock levels, and performing periodic cycle counts / inventories.
- Monitors inventory by identifying idle, excess and obsolete stock and coordinates disposition as directed.
- Supports inventory and/or warehouse operations by providing on-the-job training, troubleshooting issues at various phases of the receiving and shipping cycle, and serves as liaison among purchasing, vendors and other staff members to resolve operational issues.
- Operates various types of equipment including a pallet lift and/or fork lift.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of fundamental inventory control procedures and systems.
- Knowledge of office and administrative practices related to purchasing.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in record keeping and performing detailed work.
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
- Skill in using computers and related software applications.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Ability to use various types of equipment, including a pallet lift and/or fork lift.
- Ability to perform detailed work in an accurate and organized manner.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other city employees and the public.
Criminal Background Investigation: This position does not require a Criminal Background Investigation
EEO/ADA: City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.Information For City Employees: If you are an employee withinthe department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * The minimum qualifications of this position are graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent plus three (3) years of experience in a warehouse/inventory control related field. Education may substitute for experience up to the maximum of two (2) years. Do you meet this requirement?
- * This position requires a valid Texas Class C Driver License. Do you have a valid Texas Class C Driver License or, if selected for this position, do you have the ability to acquire a valid Texas Class C Driver License by your hire date?
- * The City of Austin Driver Eligibility Standards require that external new hires meet the City's Driver Record Evaluation (DRE) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three (3) moving violations or a total of six (6) Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months. Do you meet this requirement?
- * Describe your professional experience working for a utility, or in an industrial or manufacturing environment, and indicate the position(s) listed on your application that support(s) your answer.
- (Open Ended Question)
- * Please describe your experience in shipping and receiving, (inspecting and verifying incoming inventory), warehouse operations, inventory management, and inventory control (including number of years) and indicate the position(s) listed on your application that support(s) your answer.
- (Open Ended Question)
- * Describe your knowledge of and experience with water, wastewater, electrical, and serialized parts, and indicate the position(s) listed on your application that support(s) your answer.
- (Open Ended Question)
- * How many years of experience do you have using an automated inventory management system and/or inventory management software (such as IMS, Maximo, SAP, etc.)
- No experience
- Less than 1 year
- Between 1- 5 years
- Between 5-10 years
- More than 10 years
- * Do you have a valid forklift certification?
- * This position requires the ability to perform tasks that involve bending, lifting, walking, carrying, and using a force equal to lifting up to fifty (50) pounds, with or without accommodations. Are you able to perform these duties as required by the position?