The City of Sacramento, Department of Utilities is seeking to fill the position of Utilities and Maintenance Supervisor in Water Distribution. The position is responsible to layout, assign, and supervise the work of crews on the construction, maintenance, and repair of water distributions systems.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Layout, assign, supervise and participate in the construction, relocation, maintenance, and repair of water mains, meters, hydrants, valves, motors, pumps, chlorinators, and related appurtenances.
- Estimate quantities and order materials and equipment.
- Oversee the acquisition and purchase of necessary supplies.
- Maintain work time, equipment, and material records; make reports of work performed.
- Inspect work in progress; assist crews in resolving difficult work problems; instruct crew members in proper work techniques and use of equipment.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory, safety, certification, and training requirements.
- Work with contractors to insure proper size, location, and placement of water, sewer, and drainage connections.
- Explain the effect of work projects to adjacent property owners.
- As assigned, oversee a meter repair operation and write specifications for new water meters.
- Contact utilities customers concerning complaints.
- Coordinate work with other utilities and crews.
- Assist in locating utility lines and appurtenances.
- Assist in budget preparation and administration.
- Determine jurisdictional limits of responsibility in field operations.
- Supervise, train, and evaluate subordinates.
- Implement plans and coordinate with Police and Fire in emergency situations.
- Respond to hazardous materials calls for the division.
- Other related duties may also be performed; not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual holding this classification.
- Computer operation in order to enter and retrieve information in designated software such as the Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) to receive and send e-mails, and complete forms and reports.
- Methods, materials, practices, and equipment generally used in the construction, maintenance, and repair of water distribution systems.
- Location and general characteristics of the City's water systems.
- Occupational health and safety standards and practices associated with the work.
- Principles and methods of plumbing and hydraulics as related to the work.
- Principles and practices of supervision, training, and performance evaluation.
- Confined space entry techniques.
- Principles of the incident command system.
- Hazardous materials and codes pertaining to chemical applications.
- Flood fight procedures.
- Perform computer operations and specialized business application in order to enter and retrieve information, receive and send e-mails, and keep records and prepare reports.
- Keep records and prepare reports.
- Estimate costs and determine personnel and equipment needs.
- Understand and interpret engineering plans and work orders.
- Work effectively with Utilities customers, other employees, contractors, and the general public.
- Work under emergency conditions and take appropriate action.
- Supervise, train, and evaluate subordinates.
- Recognize confined spaces.
- Practice shoring techniques when appropriate.
- Perform traffic control in a safe manner.
High School Diploma or G.E.D. equivalent.
- And -
Three years of experience as a Utilities Operations and Maintenance Leadworker in the City of Sacramento, which must include two years in water distribution.
Six years of experience performing the duties of a supervisor or lead worker in underground installation, construction, and/or repair of water distribution systems.
- Possession of a valid California Class B Driver License with the appropriate endorsements is required at the time of appointment, and is a condition of continued employment. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to physical disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Possession of a valid California Class A Driver License with appropriate endorsements is required for some assignments.
- Possession of a Water Distribution Operator Grade III Certificate or higher issued by the State of California is required at the time of appointment to Water Distribution.
For more information regarding this position, and to apply for the position, please visit the City's website at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/saccity. For questions regarding this position, please visit the City of Sacramento Human Resources Department website at http://www.cityofsacramento.org/HR/Career-Opportunities; Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org; Call the Human Resources Department at (916) 808-5726; or visit the Human Resources Department at Historic City Hall, 915 I Street, Plaza Level, Sacramento, CA 95814.