Application Deadline September 20th, 2020
Interviews Tentatively Scheduled September 24th, 2020
Annual Salary: $77,244 - $103,514; Hiring Salary: $77,244 - $85,162 DOE
Join our team of water and wastewater specialists committed to providing
exceptional & sustainable services!
THE POSITION – METER SERVICES SUPERVISOR
- Evaluates work methods and operations; estimates time and material costs; requisitions
supplies and equipment; evaluates and institutes changes in work methods and
priorities; institutes changes to increase effectiveness to meet department objectives;
participates in the preparation of the budget and monitors expenditures
- Oversees computerized meter reading systems and reporting; analyzes projected new
routes; reviews logs and printouts to identify problems
- Handles the more serious complaints regarding water leaks, pressure, or water loss;
evaluates situation, explains findings to property owners, and notifies appropriate
- Coordinates backflow services, including submitting new device and account
information; updated customer information; creating shutoff notices; contacting
customers to schedule meter services, such as unlocks for new device testing
- Directs staff to turn services on and off as required by Customer Service department;
prepares incident reports; provides notification and information to customers or refers to
others as appropriate; maintains good customer service; notifies customers as required;
responds to emergency situations
- Plans, assigns, supervises, reviews, and evaluates the work of four Meter Service
A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities include:
High school graduation or equivalent, and two years’ experience in reading and serving utility
meters, with at least one year in a lead role preferred. Possession of, or ability to obtain, a
Class C California driver’s license is required. Possession of a State Water Resources Control
Board Water Distribution Grade 2 certification is desirable.
Vallecitos Water District is an award-winning Special District located in north San Diego County, providing water, wastewater and reclamation services to San Marcos; the community of Lake San Marcos; parts of Carlsbad, Escondido, and Vista, and other unincorporated areas.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The successful candidate demonstrates situational leadership skills and can identify and adapt to the different motivation factors of staff. The Meter Services Supervisor must be able to assess department procedures to improve efficiencies. This person is well-organized and able to track and prioritize projects within the department. As a District representative, the Meter Services Supervisor should have strong customer service skills. In addition, this person will interact regularly with staff at different levels within the District and should be able to adjust communication style and techniques accordingly.
The ideal Meter Services Supervisor is familiar with computers and basic office applications, including word processing and data entry. Familiarity with District applications, such as Northstar, is desirable. They should have knowledge of the methods and techniques of water meter reading, including automatic meter reading systems. This person is familiar with regulations related to backflow testing. The preferred candidate will also have experience in testing, installing, and replacing meters.
SALARY, BENEFITS, AND QUALITY OF LIFE
- Annual Salary Increases and Cost of Living Allowances
- Social Security and CalPERS retirement with 3% at 60 formula for Classic members
- Choice of 4 medical plans with District contribution (100% Family Coverage Kaiser HMO)
- District-paid Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Two Deferred Compensation plans with $2,000 match
- Tuition Reimbursement, Computer Loan, and Employee Recognition programs
- Employee Assistance and Wellness Programs with on-site fitness room
- 9/80 work schedule with alternate Fridays off
The above terms are not a contract, subject to eligibility requirements and reflect the current Memorandum of Understanding with the Vallecitos Water District Employees’ Association.