In 2002, New Mexico Water Service (New Mexico Water) was formed with the acquisition of the Rio Grande Utility Corporation, which added 2,265 water and 1,600 wastewater customers. The 2003 acquisition of National Utility Company added another 1,600 customers to our subsidiary.
Salary: $32,200 - $54,700
New Mexico Water offers a generous total compensation package. We have competitive salaries and match a portion of employees' contributions to their Company 401(k). In addition, we provide a Company-funded pension plan, great healthcare benefits that provide coverage to employees and dependents, and generous tuition reimbursement. In addition, employees receive 11 paid holidays and three floating holidays per year, and two weeks of sick leave and vacation.
We are committed to hiring the best candidates, developing current employees, and promoting from within. Continuous improvement and employee development opportunities allow employees to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to progress and reach your career goals.
The Water/Wastewater Systems Operator performs work in both water and wastewater operations which includes the operation and maintenance of water systems, wastewater treatment facilities, sewer collection systems reading water meters, and providing customer service; works in other New Mexico Water Service systems as assigned. This position is located in Rio Communities, New Mexico.
- Operates and maintains water systems including well pumps, booster pumps, water mains, service lines, meter cans, valve boxes, reservoirs, pressure tanks, fire hydrants, valves, and other appurtenances and equipment.
- Operates and maintains the wastewater system including treatment facilities, lift stations, filters, collection system piping, force mains, manholes, and other appurtenances and equipment. Monitors the operation of the water and wastewater systems in accordance with state and federal regulations
- Monitors gauges, dials, meters, control panels, computerized control and information systems, and other recording instruments; interprets results to determine processing and operational requirements; records data and maintains routine and daily records and shift logs
- Collects samples, performs basic laboratory analyses; interprets results, and troubleshoots water and wastewater quality issues as necessary
- Performs daily, weekly, and monthly maintenance on all equipment
- Installs, services, repairs, and replaces water mains and service lines
- Installs and replaces water meters
- Performs fire flow testing and fire hydrant maintenance
- Performs gate valve, lift station, and collection system maintenance
- Locates underground facilities
- Repairs and performs maintenance on sewer collection system
- Reads meters, delivers disconnect notices, completes work orders, and sets meters
- Assists customers in person and by phone, addressing questions regarding billing, payments, conservation, water quality, pressure, leaks, and other service related issues.
- Coordinates with other operators to ensure continuity of job duties
- Operates centrifuge to process sludge, cleans facilities with pressure washer, and decants/refills wasting tanks
- Performs general plant and grounds maintenance work
- Participates in the on-call rotation and performs after hours work as required
- Participates in and supports the Company’s Continuous Improvement program and projects
- Performs other similar duties as assigned
- High school diploma or GED
- One year experience operating and maintaining a water distribution system, sewer collection system, and wastewater treatment facility desired
- Must obtain New Mexico Water and Wastewater Systems Level 1 certifications no later than the first available testing opportunity following the first anniversary of the hire date.
- Must obtain New Mexico Water and Wastewater Systems Level 2 certifications no later than the first available testing opportunity following the second anniversary of the hire date.
- Must reside within 60 minutes of the assigned service area
- Valid, unrestricted, New Mexico Driver License and a clean driving record.
- Must be available for call-outs outside normal working hours, including weekends and holidays, and for rotating on-call duty
- Must obtain a State of New Mexico Class B Commercial Driver’s License within 12 months of hire
Deadline to submit resume is Sunday, December 8, 2019.
The Equal Opportunity Policy of the Company is based upon the philosophy that all people should be treated fairly and with dignity. California Water Service, Hawaii Water Service, New Mexico Water Service and Washington Water Service do not discriminate against any applicant or employee because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or any other protected class. The Company makes all employment decisions in a non-discriminatory manner. EOE, VET, DISABILITIES