The Department of Public Works is seeking candidates for the position of Boiler Watch Engineer!
Under general supervision, Boiler Watch Engineers operate and maintain proper steam pressure and water in high pressure boilers used for space heating and domestic hot water heat exchangers at the San Mateo Medical Center.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties and responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Watch boiler water supply and keep pumps regulated to maintain even water level in boilers;
- Perform water treatments; assist with inspection, repair and replacement of steam, water, air and oil pipes;
- Keep steam supply regulated as needed throughout power plant;
- Help install machinery and equipment;
- Inspect pressure and temperature gauges for steam or water leaks, and make repairs or notify the chief engineer of needed repairs; reset and repack steam and water valves;
- Keep steam boilers in good condition;
- Wipe and dust boiler room fixtures and appliances;
- Clean boiler flues; sweep and keep boiler room premises in clean and orderly condition;
- Keep records of fuel consumption and temperatures of fuel oil and feed water;
- Perform miscellaneous minor repair work;
- Perform other duties as assigned including operation of Direct Digital Control (DDC), HVAC, Chiller system, VAV and Pneumatic controls. Boiler Watch Engineers also monitor fire alarm systems and pneumatic tube systems and operate emergency generators and Automatic Transfer Switches (ATS) and Cogen system.
In addition to having the knowledge, skills and abilities listed under Qualifications, the ideal candidate will be:
- Well-versed in the principles of water treatment.
- Able to conduct and interpret water treatment tests.
- Able to maintain hourly operational logs of all central plant equipment.
NOTE: This position will be required to work swing and graveyard shifts.
NOTE: This is an Extra-help assignment. Extra-help assignments are at-will and the employee is paid on an hourly basis. Some extra help positions are eligible for benefits under the Affordable Care Act. Extra-help workers are not guaranteed permanent status at the end of the extra-help assignment.
Education and Experience: Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is one year of boiler room experience.
Knowledge of: Efficient firing methods and boiler room practices; methods of firing, operating and blowing off boilers; and methods, materials, tools and equipment used in cleaning and keeping boilers in good condition.
Skill/Ability to: Keep an even fire with economical use of fuel; and understand and carry out oral and written directions.
This is an extra-help recruitment. Anyone may apply. Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
Application materials will be reviewed after the final filing date and well-qualified candidates will be contacted by the department for an interview. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California and applicants must participate at their own expense.
IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the 'Apply' button. If you are not on the County's website, please go to https://jobs.smcgov.org to apply. Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before midnight (unless otherwise stated) on the final filing date. Apply immediately. This recruitment is open on a continuous basis and selections may be made at any time within the process.
TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE
Application Deadline: Continuous
At the County of San Mateo, we welcome and celebrate the diversity of our employees, and strive to create a workplace where they feel valued every day.
County of San Mateo is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Analyst: Christina Chan (030719) (Boiler Watch Engineer - T048)