$180,533.01 - $236,949.58 Annually
This position will be open until filled. The first review of applications will be August 9, 2021.
Union Sanitary District (USD) is an award-winning, innovative independent special district formed in 1918 providing wastewater collection, treatment, and disposal services to the residents and businesses in the Tri-cities of Fremont, Newark, and Union City in southern Alameda County (south-eastern Bay Area). USD is committed to providing exceptional service to our customers through the fulfillment of our Mission Statement, "To safely and responsibly collect and treat wastewater, and to recover resources from process waste streams, while protecting human health and improving the environment in a way that benefits the Tri-Cities and all USD stakeholders."
Reporting to the General Manager, the Collection Services (CS) Manager is responsible for ensuring a high-quality program for maintenance of the District’s sewage collection system, fleet, and facility assets to minimize the occurrence of overflows and odors; identifies and corrects damaged facilities in a timely manner and is responsive to the needs of the District’s customers. The Collection Services Manager is responsible for the development of personnel, and acquiring the equipment and material resources needed to effectively carry out the program. The workgroup has 30 full time positions. As a key member of the District’s Executive Team, the Collection Services Manager works directly with the General Manager, Board of Directors, and Executive Team to develop, implement, and manage the District’s sewage collection system. The Collection Services Manager represents the District at state, regional, and local meetings as well as District task force and committees
Examples of Duties
The Collection Services Manager:
- Manages a preventive maintenance program for the collection system, including inspection, cleaning, and repair of collection system assets; and maintenance of the fleet of vehicles and equipment used by the District.
- Develops, promotes, supports, and ensures compliance with District-wide, workgroup, and team safety policies, procedures, work practices, and safety initiatives.
- Participates as a member of the Executive Team in strategic and other planning efforts, District-side policy development and review, and other key management decisions.
- Works with engineering staff to develop and implement capital projects for improvements and expansion of collection system.
- Develops, audits, and updates the sewer system management plan (SSMP) and is one of the legally responsible officials for certifying sewer system overflow (SSO) reports and updating the questionnaire on the California Integrated Water Quality System (CIWQS).
- Is supportive of the use of new technologies (asset management, automated service orders, etc.) in the daily activities of the workgroup.
- Develops and administers annual budget.
For a more detailed overview of this position and to learn more about Union Sanitary District, please see our recruitment flyer at: CSM - Recruitment Brochure 07.2021.pdf
- Bachelor's degree or technical certification related to the position. Additional experience may be substituted for this educational requirement.
- 10 years’ increasingly responsible experience in sewer maintenance, and rehabilitation work for a public wastewater collection system.
- Experience with asset management work for a public or private agency utilizing equipment typically found at a wastewater treatment and pumping facility or similar system.
- Three years’ experience must have been in a supervisory capacity, with at least two years at a level comparable to, or higher than, a Collection Services Coach.
- Must possess a valid Class C California driver’s license, have and maintain a satisfactory driving record, and be insurable by the District to operate District vehicles.
- Must be able to obtain a valid Wastewater Collection System Maintenance Certificate Grade IV issued by the California Water Environment Association (CWEA) within one (1) year from date of hire.
We also offer an excellent benefits package including:
- CalPERS retirement 2.5% at 55 formula. (If new to CalPERS or not from an agency with reciprocity with CalPERS, the formula is 2% at 62 by pension reform law.)
- Medical, dental and vision insurance substantially paid for by the District for the employee and family.
- Deferred compensation matching up to $4,200 per year.
- Two weeks' vacation per year (increasing with longevity), and 13 paid holidays per year.
- Administrative Leave of 64 hours per year.
- Work schedule options include the standard 40-hour schedule or a 9/80 schedule.
- District paid short-term disability, long-term disability, and life insurance programs.
Application and Selection Process
To be considered, please submit your cover letter, resume and list of three professional references (who will not be contacted in the early stages of the recruitment). Your resume should reflect size (staff/budget) and scope of recent responsibilities, as well as years and months with beginning/ending dates of positions held.
Submit your application and materials online by visiting: www.governmentjobs.com/careers/unionsanitary
Union Sanitary District is not responsible for the failure of Internet forms in submitting your application.
Resumes will be screened in relation to the criteria outlined. Candidates whose experience is deemed to most closely match the ideal candidate profile may be invited to participate in the interview process.
Interviews with finalists are expected to occur in late August. It is anticipated than an appointment will be made in mid to late September following thorough reference and background checks.
Disaster Service Worker:
Employees of Union Sanitary District are, by state and federal law, Disaster Service Workers. In the event of a declaration of emergency, any employee may be assigned activities which promote the protection of public health and safety or the preservation of lives and property either at the District or within the local, or your own community.
Accommodation: Candidates with a disability who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or selection process should advise Human Resources by emailing email@example.com upon submittal of application.
Union Sanitary District is an equal opportunity employer
encouraging workforce diversity.