The City of Norfolk's Department of Utilities is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Utility Maintenance Supervisor. This position involves skilled supervisory work overseeing building maintenance, yard operations, and management of vehicles and equipment. This position is responsible for administration of the division's safety program and overseeing the division's work management system (Hansen).
Essential functions include but are not limited to:
- Oversees building maintenance by coordinating with the facility maintenance division.
- Supervises yard operations, including conducting routine yard inspections, monitoring grounds maintenance, and overseeing waste disposal/recycling operations.
- Coordinates all equipment, vehicle and fixed asset inventory and repair with Fleet Maintenance Division. Assists with developing specifications for equipment and materials. Performs evaluations on vehicle daily inspection logs. Ensures that motor vehicles and construction equipment are in good working condition. Assigns vehicles and equipment to work crews.
- Purchases any necessary materials and supplies following proper procurement protocol and coordinating with the City's storehouse. Supervise and document deliveries of materials, heavy equipment, etc.
- Administers the Divisional Safety program. Coordinates the Divisional Safety Committee. Performs safety inspections/audits. Manages all proper training and documentation to comply with OSHA standards. Manages the purchase of all necessary safety equipment and supplies. Functions as the Divisional liaison for the Department and City safety committees.
- Conducts accident investigations and inquiries. Convenes and oversees the Accident Review Board.
- Has knowledge of divisional work management system, Hansen. Coordinates with supervisors and administrative staff to ensure proper documentation of all operations. Assists with evaluating staff performance and documenting productivity.
- Responds to emergencies by leading storm damage teams or responding to after-hour emergencies.
- Supervises various water crews in the absence of the normal supervisor in the daily maintenance and repair of the water system. Functions as a back-up for the heavy construction equipment operators.
- Coordinates work, equipment and resources with employees inside and outside the Division.
- Interacts continuously and deals tactfully with customers, employees, vendors, contractors, management, and others. Must be able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Must have strong organizational skills and be able to prepare basic reports and maintain records.
- Must be proficient with spreadsheets, word processing and database computer programs, knowledge of work management systems, Hansen, a plus.
Work requires knowledge necessary to understand basic operational, technical, or office processes. Level of knowledge equivalent to four years of high school or equivalency.
More than four years utility maintenance/repair/construction experience.
Additional Information & Requirements
- Valid commercial driver's license.
- Additional, duty specific training and certification may be required within six months.
Work Hours: Monday - Friday; 7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.; standby duty rotation is required
Work Location: 1316 Ballentine Boulevard, Norfolk, Virginia 23504
***This position is designated as an 'Essential' position which means you may be required to work extended, rotating, after hours, nights, weekends, and/or holidays in response to emergencies or severe weather.***
- Consideration for an interview is based solely on the information provided within this application.YOUR RESPONSES TO THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONS WILL BE REVIEWED AND VERIFIED WITH THE INFORMATION YOU PROVIDED IN THE BODY OF YOUR APPLICATION.
- To check the status of your application refer to your GovernmentJobs.com account for the latest update.
- Applications must include complete work history, including periods of unemployment if applicable. Writing "See resume" with no other information is considered an incomplete application and will not be considered.