This position performs engineering design and review duties in support of the operation, development, and maintenance of the city’s water, wastewater, and reclaimed water utilities. An incumbent in this position may be designated “Utilities Engineer I” if Engineer in Training or “Utilities Engineer II”
- Reviews design plans for projects; reviews as-builts and other construction submittals for city acceptances.
- Communicates with engineers, architects, and contractors regarding construction projects; oversees project inspections.
- Manages contracted work; reviews submittals to confirm compliance with city standards; reviews pay applications.
- Develops project plans and specifications for utilities projects; completes and certifies drawings and calculations.
- Communicates with commercial and residential customers to provide information and resolve problems.
- Prepares specifications and bid documents for higher cost procurement contracts.
- Reviews and approves demolition permits.
- Prepares reports on city utility functions and proposed projects.
- Performs related duties.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Knowledge of municipal water and wastewater systems operations principles and practices.
- Knowledge of civil engineering principles and practices.
- Knowledge of hydraulics, pumping and piping systems, and electrical controls and motors.
- Knowledge of plan development regulations and city utilities standards.
- Knowledge of relevant federal and state laws.
- Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs.
- Skill in problem solving.
- Skill in prioritizing and planning.
- Skill in interpersonal relations.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
Utilities Engineer I
- Certification as an Engineer Intern in the State of Florida.
- Bachelor’s Degree in civil engineering or related field.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Ability to read and interpret construction plans.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Florida for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
Utilities Engineer II
- All qualifications noted for the Utilities Engineer I position plus:
- Licensure as a Professional Engineer in the State of Florida.
- Ability to use engineering design and modeling software.
- Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the work of subordinate positions to be able to answer questions and resolve problems, usually associated with at least three years’ experience or service.
Salary: $28.84 - $37.49 (Hourly Wage)