Orange Water and Sewer Authority (OWASA) is Carrboro-Chapel Hill's not-for-profit public service agency delivering high- quality water, wastewater, and reclaimed water services. Our team seeks a highly responsible, results-oriented Engineering Associate to join our Engineering and Planning team.
The Engineering Associate is responsible for reviewing all third-party development projects to ensure compliance with the standards, specifications, policies, and procedures of OWASA and the State of North Carolina.
Key responsibilities include:
- Review engineering plans, provide plan approval, and issue permits to construct following all regulatory approvals
- Ensure OWASA's Manual of Standards, Specifications, and Design; Sewer Use Ordinance; Cross Connection Control Manual; and Grease and Oil Control Standards are followed in design documents
- Review proposed easement locations to ensure OWASA's access needs are met
- Conduct meetings with developers, consulting engineers and construction contractors to review plan submittals
- Represent OWASA at Town and UNC development review meetings and provide verbal and written comments related to proposed water, sewer and reclaimed water system installations associated with new development
- Help with surveying and system mapping
- Prepare technical reports and correspondence to consulting engineers, developers, local governments, or other agencies
- Participate on a rotating emergency line break team, alerting customers regarding emergency water outages and boil water notices after-hours
- Respond to customer concerns and inquiries
Position requires a valid North Carolina Driver's License. Six-months to one year of advanced study or training at a community college or technical school with three to five years of experience working with water and sewer systems. Certifications preferred are Cross Connection, Water Distribution Grade A, and/or Sewer Collections Grade III. Prior experience using a Geographic Information System (GIS) is also preferred.
OWASA provides excellent benefits to include membership in the North Carolina Local Government Employees Retirement System, employer 457 plan contribution and retirement health savings account. Paid Health, Dental, Vision and Life insurances. Additional benefits include Paid Holidays, Vacation, Sick and Personal Leave, Bereavement and Parental Leave, Educational Reimbursement, Bonus Pay for Additional Certifications and/or Education.
OWASA is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to continuous improvement, sustainability, creativity, diversity, and inclusion. OWASA does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, disability, age, or sex in administration of its programs or activities, or employment decisions. Certified Orange County Living Wage Employer.
To complete an application, visit www.owasa.org. Closing date is December 9, 2022.
Salary range is $53,576 - $82,493.