ABOUT THE COMPANY
Cascade Energy, founded in 1993, specializes in industrial energy efficiency. Our work reaches throughout the Pacific Northwest and across North America, with clients ranging in size from small up to Fortune 500 companies. We are proud of our reputation for stellar, high quality work. We foster and value a culture of equals, initiative, and ownership. Contribution in all areas is encouraged. Cascade has offices in Portland, OR; Eugene, OR; Issaquah, WA; Walla Walla, WA; Pleasant Grove, UT; Meridian, ID; Park Ridge, IL; Saratoga Springs, NY; Pleasanton, CA; and San Diego, CA.
At Cascade Energy, we believe in better. We come to work every day with a drive for continuous improvement. We dedicate ourselves to making industrial energy efficiency happen in smart, measurable, and sustainable ways. We are always thinking about new ways to make things happen and achieve results. We offer energy program design and delivery, project management and analysis, energy management services and software, and hands-on training and coaching.
Our team is a reflection of our core company values, which are: do the right thing; put others first; seek shared success; learn constantly; and be industrious. Our customers are vitally important to us, and we pride ourselves on stellar customer service. All Cascadians are ambassadors, representing Cascade Energy, striving to keep our values top of mind, and working to ensure we are responsive and consistently delighting our customers.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Do you love the world of Water and Wastewater, and are you interested in doing something new – something fun?! If you want to use what you know, work with facility staff that will appreciate your help, and improve the efficiency of the plants you serve – then we have the perfect role for you!
Our Water and Wastewater (W/WW) team is focused solely on reducing the energy footprint and associated costs of water and wastewater operations. We are recognized as energy efficiency experts, and we are committed to moving the needle within the systems we engage through operational and capital improvements.
We are seeking a Water and Wastewater (W/WW) Strategic Energy Management (SEM) Coach to act as a facilitator, educator, and technical liaison between our industry’s stakeholders: the plant staff and management, the consultants, the vendors, the regulators, and the electric utility.
We host workshops. We perform technical analyses. We build energy models and track performance against baseline. We help municipal and industrial organizations form energy teams, set goals, and implement measures to get moving on the path to reduced consumption and greenhouse gas emissions. We do our audits looking down, into the process, not looking up at the lights. We teach classes nationwide for federal energy efficiency programs.
This full time, exempt position is based in our Park Ridge, Illinois office, and reports to the Territory Manager - Midwest. Travel for this role is expected to be approximately 25%.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Customer site visits in Midwest Territory to gauge and inventory existing equipment and operations. This on-site work may also include system monitoring and high-level scoping of municipal and industrial facilities for energy saving opportunities
- Foster and grow client relationships and identify opportunities for generating additional work from current clients
- Excel-based modeling and optimization of water/wastewater systems
- Preparing feasibility reports for energy efficiency projects with existing systems as well as design review of expansions, upgrades, and greenfield projects
- Providing technical services and customer support within various electric utility conservation programs
- Commissioning of existing systems or newly installed efficiency projects to maximize energy performance
- Facilitation of regional W/WW workshops and seminars
- Project oversight to ensure progress and on-time, high-quality deliverables
- Interfacing and facilitating with electric utilities, water/wastewater utilities, design consultants, and the regulatory community
- Identifying and engaging water and wastewater facilities as potential participants in incentive programs
- Selection of technical sub-consultants; review and QC of sub-consultant work product
- Participant and project tracking, including M&V planning and baseline data analysis
Successful candidates will possess a combination of both technical and interpersonal skills. First and foremost, we seek someone who exhibits all the characteristics of a “people person.” Additional qualifications needed for this role include:
- Exceptional critical thinking, problem solving, and decision making capabilities including:
- Ability to quickly see opportunity and evaluate the quality of the energy efficiency opportunity (size and cost)
- Ability to apply the right level of rigor based on the size of the project and potential savings
- Knowing when to get second opinions and when to forge on with their own judgment
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment within a small office
- Strong project management and organizational skills, with the ability to adeptly juggle multiple projects, customers, deadlines, and demands
- Ability to teach or explain technical topics to audiences with different levels of technical understanding. Strong written and verbal (English) skills required
- Excellent customer service skills; the ability to listen, motivate, and empathize with others
- Proactive, resourceful and highly motivated to achieve project results
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to move from the “big picture” to smaller details quickly and easily
- The proven ability to adeptly juggle multiple projects, program offerings, customers, deadlines, and demands
- An understanding of the municipal project approval process, typical barriers to this process, and techniques for working through these barriers
- A good grasp of project financial metrics and how projects are effectively proposed and gain approval with upper management, elected officials, and ratepayers
- A solid understanding of water and/or wastewater equipment, technologies, and processes
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelors and/or Masters in mechanical, chemical, or civil engineering, or equivalent education and experience in a similar field
- Strong analysis skills using MS Excel
- Progressive experience in the management or design of water distribution and treatment systems, or wastewater collection, conveyance, treatment systems, and processes
- Experience and understanding of the regulatory framework within which municipal facilities operate
- Experience in developing and managing project budgets
- Experience with U.S. local, state, regional, and federal funding strategies, and regulations relevant to water and wastewater utilities in the U.S.
- Regional network of professional contacts and involvement within the W/WW industry in the Midwest region.
- Experience with industrial energy efficiency
- Project management of capital projects in an industrial setting
- Experience identifying low/now-cost energy efficiency action items
- A passion for improving the W/WW world and drive to push past “business as usual” within the industry
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Our total rewards includes competitive pay and excellent benefits. These include health and vision (90% paid for team member, 80% paid for dependents), FSA or HSA options with an employer contribution, life insurance, short and long-term disability insurance, 401k retirement plan with both a guaranteed 3% contribution and a profit sharing contribution, annual cash performance bonus, (8) paid holidays per year, paid vacation time and paid sick time.
Our team enjoys a flexible work schedule in a professional yet casual environment. Our Park Ridge office is located close to the Yellow Metra Line station. Cascade promotes a healthy work-life balance and appreciates employee contribution in all areas. We walk the talk about our commitment to learning constantly, with a focus on the ongoing development of every team member, and a tuition reimbursement program.
To apply, please submit application online. Applications cannot be considered unless a resume and cover letter (PDFs please!) describing what about our team or the position resonates with you, and how your experience could make you a great fit for the role, are included. Professional references will be requested from finalists. College transcripts will be requested from applicants having less than five years engineering experience.
Cascade Energy is not able to provide sponsorship for work authorization in the U.S.