Salary: $136,248.00 - $157,728.00 Annually
An immediate position is available at East Bay Municipal Utility District’s (EBMUD) Pardee Center location in Valley Springs, approximately 85 miles from EBMUD headquarters in Oakland. The Pardee Water/Wastewater Supervisor supervises the operation, maintenance and water system inspection for remote site water treatment plants, wastewater treatment plants, and water distribution facilities. In carrying out this function, typical duties include:
• Serving as chief operator of assigned water and wastewater treatment plant facilities, performing, in addition to others, the duties of the Treatment Plant Specialist as required.
• Planning, organizing, directing, observing, inspecting, analyzing and providing for adjustment of the operations of water and wastewater treatment plant(s) and water distribution facilities to meet performance standards, changing conditions and emergencies.
• Scheduling and coordinating work with other District work units and outside contractors to assure safe, reliable and continuous operations.
• Supervising/assisting in the shut down and startup of portions of water distribution, water treatment and wastewater treatment systems as necessary and taking appropriate action to mitigate impact(s) on customers.
• Coordinate and direct special projects or programs related to water treatment, water distribution, and wastewater collection and treatment facilities.
• Maintaining logs of plant operations, test results, maintenance work performed, unusual operating conditions, preparing periodic and special reports as required.
• Identifying and reporting facility deficiencies, hazards and security needs, recommending maintenance or improvements.
• May resolve complex technical problems in the process, techniques and analyses of operational data to maintain and improve water quality standards, plant efficacy and energy management.
• Ensuring that working conditions are safe and assigned staff (Water System Inspectors (WSI) and Treatment Plant Specialists (TPS)) trained in safe work practices and procedures.
• Planning, organizing, directing and assigning the work of the WSI who: performs water quality monitoring of rivers, lakes and streams, samples and chemically treats mains and distribution reservoirs, conducts special investigations of distribution system operations, handles customer inquiries about water service, quality and hydraulics and contacts individual consumers in the investigation of cross connection hazards.
• Reviewing reports and records of the TPSs and WSI for accuracy, completeness and follow-up.
• Developing routine and special reports, plans and procedures as required.
• Requisitioning, receiving and storing routine materials, supplies and equipment; reviewing requests and reporting need for unusual items.
• Utilize SCADA and computer-based work management systems, and other electronic or computer systems and applications, in the course of the work.
• Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
The ideal candidate will have balanced experience in the operation of both water and wastewater systems.
The Pardee Water/Wastewater Supervisor salary range starts at $11,354 per month, increasing to $11,922, $12,518, and $13,144 after 12, 24, and 36 months, respectively.
EBMUD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender, gender identity (including transgender status), gender expression, marital or registered domestic partnership status, age for individuals age forty or older, national origin, ancestry, disability (mental or physical), medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), genetic information, sexual orientation, military and veterans status, family or medical leave status, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation or related medical condition), pregnancy disability leave status, domestic violence victim status, political affiliation, and other categories protected by federal, state and/or local laws.
1. A high school diploma or its equivalent and either:
2a. Four years of experience as a Treatment Plant Specialist OR
2b. Four years of journey level experience that included two years in the operation and maintenance of water treatment/distribution systems and two years in wastewater treatment/collection systems OR
2c. Four years of journey level experience in the investigation, troubleshooting, and resolution of water quality, water pressure, and water treatment issues for a distribution and treatment system classification of D2 and T3 or higher.
3. Must possess and maintain a valid T3 Water Treatment Operator certificate (or higher) issued by the State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB).
4. Must possess and maintain a valid D2 Water Distribution Operator certificate (or higher) issued by the SWRCB.
5. Must possess and maintain a valid Grade II Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator certificate (or higher) issued by the SWRCB.
6. Possession of a California driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record.
7. Physical ability to perform the critical and important duties of the class. Willingness to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions. Must be willing to work with hazardous chemicals. Must be willing to work assigned shift, weekends, holidays and overtime as needed.
Note: EBMUD requires all employees to provide written proof of vaccination. Those employees with sincerely held religious beliefs or valid medical reasons, as determined by EBMUD, will be exempt from vaccination requirements. **
**Please contact EBMUD Human Resources for additional questions.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered. To be considered under the “equivalent combination of education and experience” provision, it is your responsibility to include in your application materials written evidence of employment performed at the level of the typical duties of this position and/or coursework in subject areas directly related to this position. For more information, see our FAQ page at http://www.ebmud.com/jobs/job-resources/job-faqs-frequently-asked-questions/.
The Selection Process
1. Submit a completed EBMUD application and the required supplemental question responses online at www.ebmud.com by 4:30 p.m., Friday, June 10, 2022. Only application materials submitted online during the filing period will be accepted.
2. Candidates must achieve a passing score on each test part in order to advance to the next step in the selection process.
3. All qualified applications and supplemental responses will be competitively evaluated, with those candidates demonstrating the strongest qualifications for the position to be invited to a panel interview tentatively scheduled for July 2022.
4. Successful candidates will be placed on the hiring list, based on rank, for further consideration to fill the current regular vacancy, as well as others occurring over the next 12 to 24 months.
5. The probation period for this position is 12 months. For those holding civil service status the probation period is 6 months.
6. All employment offers are conditional, pending the results of a Live Scan background screening. All selected finalists must participate in the Live Scan background screening process to remain in consideration for EBMUD employment.
As the first step in the selection process, responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted online with the regular EBMUD application. Please provide thorough, accurate descriptions of assignments you have personally performed. Should you respond with comments such as “see application” or “see resume” instead of addressing the questions directly, your application may not be considered.