Assistant Director of Utilities- Water Treatment
Summary: Under general supervision, manages the personnel, facilities, and equipment for the operation and maintenance of the City's water and wastewater treatment plants; checks the stormwater permit and emergency response programs for compliance with state and federal standards; monitors operations and budgets, and develops policy and procedures revisions.
Essential Functions: -- Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class; employees may be assigned duties which are not listed below; reasonable accommodations will be made as required. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement and is subject to change at any time by the employer. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Manages Water and Wastewater (W/WW) Treatment plants, including infrastructure, maintenance, and operations; develops and implements policies, procedures, goals, and objectives.
- Monitors treatment plants' work activities to identify and resolve W/WW problems and maintenance requirements; assures that operations are in compliance with state and federal laws, regulations, and safety standards, and City policies and procedures.
- Monitors operations; reviews and evaluates work methods and procedures to assure quality work results and effective use of resources; develops plans, priorities, and resource allocations for treatment plants.
- Coordinates treatment plants' operations, staffing, and maintenance procedures; meets with supervisors to define and resolve problems; coordinates assignments and equipment allocation; evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of operational methods and procedures, and identifies opportunities for improvement.
- Manages staff; plans, prioritizes, and assigns tasks and projects; instructs and trains staff, monitors work, and develops staff skills; evaluates performance, and assures compliance with quality and safety standards; analyzes workload trends, and develops plans for staffing, training, and assignment adjustments.
- Assures effective communication of W/WW issues; interprets and explains federal and state rules and regulations; investigates and resolves complaints and customer service issues.
- Manages the collection, analysis, and reporting of operational and laboratory data; maintains records and prepares mandated reports for regulatory agencies, and status reports on treatment plants' operations.
- Develops and monitors operational budgets; monitors and approves expenditures; manages the purchase of equipment, tools, and materials and assures that inventory is sufficient to meet operational demands.
- Supports the divisional operations with regular and timely attendance.
- Must have and maintain a cell phone for City use to hold this position.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Odessa and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
Education, Training and Experience Guidelines: Bachelor's Degree in Engineering; AND seven years' experience in water utilities management, and project management in the public sector.
- Fundamentals of civil engineering, mathematics, and physics.
- State and Federal regulations governing municipal utilities, and the treatment and transmission of W/WW; including United States Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA), Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), and Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) rules and standards.
- TCEQ quality regulations, inspection protocols, best practices, and compliance standards.
- Principles and practices of maintenance and repair for water & wastewater facilities and equipment.
- Principles of design, construction and maintenance of W/WW projects.
- Principles and practices of administrative management, including personnel rules, cost accounting, budgeting, procurement, contract management, project management, and employee supervision.
- Proper use and storage of chemicals, including OSHA Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for hazardous chemicals used in the workplace.
- Principles of Information Technology, including Geographic Information Systems.Skill in:
- Analyzing operational issues, evaluating alternatives, and developing logical recommendations based on findings.
- Evaluating and monitoring data to identify trends, and verify compliance with state and federal standards.
- Preparing analytical reports and interpreting test results.
- Developing and documenting analytical procedures and methods.
- Using initiative and independent judgment within established procedural guidelines
- Interpreting and applying technical standards and procedures, federal and state rules and regulations, and City policies and procedures.
- Developing and implementing procedures for cost effective management of allocated resources.
- Assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects and demands.
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with City employees, officials, and representatives from other local, state, and federal agencies.
- Supervising and leading staff, and delegating tasks and authority.
- Operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of business and technical software.
- Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
License and certification requirements: A valid Texas State Driver's License is required. Registration as a Professional Engineer by the Texas Board of Professional Engineers and / or a Class B Water and Wastewater licenses from the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) is required; Class A licenses are preferred.
Physical demands and working environment: Work is performed in a standard office environment.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.