The SCADA System Administrator has overall responsibility for the design, installation, programming, commissioning, and maintenance, of the Water/Wastewater utility SCADA and automation systems. The employee in this position may be required to carry cell phone for departmental emergencies as well as be able to respond to emergencies as needed throughout the Department of Public Works. This is a 24 hour on call position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Overall daily maintenance and upkeep of SCADA System, including SCADA servers/clients, local HMI screens, communication networks, PLC’s, and field devices.
- Responds to SCADA System related service requests.
- Provides support to department field technicians as needed.
- Troubleshoots SCADA System hardware and software, local HMI’s, computers/workstations, programming, subnets, routers, ethernet switches, or other communications issues and resolve issues in timely manner.
- Updates programming and configuration of process controllers (PLC’s) when new systems or devices are added or removed. Tests and confirms proper process functionality after any configuration changes are deployed.
- Provides ongoing development of SCADA System configuration; add/update tags, alarms, trends, page graphics, reports, etc.
- Maintains and monitors data historian functions, data, trends, alarms, etc. and immediately engages operations when abnormal conditions are present.
- Assists contracted SCADA engineers with system updates, testing, etc.
- Provides SCADA operations training to operators as needed.
- Provides assistance to IT support team as needed during system updates and/or maintenance activities.
- Works with IT support team to ensure that industry standards and best practices are maintained with regard to cybersecurity protections.
- Monitors and controls user access to the SCADA system.
- Works directly with third party network monitoring engineers and coordinates any necessary remediation action when/if malicious activities are detected.
- Develops cybersecurity policies and procedures related to SCADA system. Provide staffs cybersecurity training, enforces policy, and acts as needed in response to violations.
- Maintains and updates record drawings and documentation for the SCADA system, network communications, etc.
- Maintains backups of all configuration files for SCADA servers and clients, PLC’s, HMI’s, network hardware, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Accredited education in the field of instrumentation and control systems.
- Five (5) years of working experience in Water/Wastewater utility SCADA and automations systems as a SCADA Technician. A combination of education and experience may be considered.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATES AND/OR LICENSES:
- Vehicle Operator’s license with satisfactory driving record that meets insurability standards of the City’s insurance carrier is required. The employee must maintain the license for the duration of their employment.
REQUIRED SKILLS (Communication/Language; Mathematical; Computer; etc.):
- Ability to diagnose and troubleshoot network issues.
- Ability to diagnose and troubleshoot computer hardware and software issues.
- Working knowledge of ethernet communications network topology and various automation protocols.
- Working knowledge of 900 MHz spread spectrum ethernet radio communication networks.
- Working knowledge of automation process controllers and field devices.
- Working knowledge of SCADA System software.
- Must have excellent analytical, organizational, verbal, written, and communication skills.
- Must be a team player with multi-tasking ability.
- Bachelor of Science degree in a related field preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to remain in a stationary position 50% of time. This individual will occasionally be required to move computer equipment up to 50 pounds. The person in this position needs to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, and computer equipment. This position requires employee to frequently position self to maintain computers in the lab, including under the desks and in the server closet.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/CONDITION: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The incumbent typically performs work indoors in an office setting but will, on occasion, be in the field.
Close: Oct 21, 2022
Equal Opportunity Employer