Mesa Water District is excited to announce that it is now accepting applications for an Operator I/II position with the Water Operations Department.
Interested applicants must submit an online application by the filing deadline of Sunday, December 29, 2019 at 11:59 PM. Only completed online applications and supplemental questions will be considered! In addition, copies of certifications, coursework and/or degrees must be attached to this application.
SALARY RANGE - effective January 3, 2020 (Depending Upon Experience):
Operator I with D1 Certificate: $27.23/hr. - $37.53/hr.
Operator I (D1 & T1 Certifications): $29.32/hr. - $40.42/hr.
Operator II (D3 &T2 Certifications): $32.37/hr. - $44.62/hr.
About Mesa Water District
Mesa Water® is a local government agency providing water to over 110,000 residents including homes, business and industries in Costa Mesa, parts of Newport Beach, and some unincorporated areas of Orange County including the John Wayne Airport. An industry leader, Mesa Water is known for its advanced water treatment practices and use of multiple technologies.
Under supervision (Operator I), general supervision (Operator II) performs a variety of skilled and semi-skilled work involved in operating, maintaining, installing, and repairing the District's water distribution infrastructure and/or water production facilities to ensure an uninterrupted supply of quality potable water to the customers of Mesa Water District; maintains and repairs related mechanical and electronic equipment and systems; and operates and maintains a variety of maintenance tools and equipment.
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade. Vocational/technical training in maintenance and repair practices is desirable.Experience:
One year of experience in the operation, maintenance, and repair of electrical and mechanical equipment and systems. Experienced in the operation and maintenance of water production facilities is desirable.License or Certificate:
- Possession of a valid driver's license and satisfactory driving record.
- Possession or obtain a valid Class A driver's license with air brake endorsement within the initial, new hire probationary period and a condition of continued employment in this job classification.
- Possession Grade 1 Water Distribution (D1) Certificate issued by the State Water Resources Control Board prior to appointment required.
- Possession or obtain Grade 1 Water Treatment (T1) Certificate issued by the State Water Resources Control Board within one year of appointment required. May be extended up to an additional 12 months, at the discretion of the General Manager.
Must reside within 25 miles of the nearest boundary to Mesa Water District in order to participate in the mandatory distribution standby program and respond to emergencies.
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade supplemented by vocational/technical training in water utility science, water distribution infrastructure maintenance and repair practices, and/or mechanical maintenance and repair practices.Experience:
Two years of experience in the operation, maintenance, installation, and repair of water distribution and/or water production infrastructure.
- Valid Class A driver's license with air brake endorsement required and satisfactory driving record.
- Possession of Grade 3 Water Distribution (D3) Certificate issued by the State Water Resources Control Board prior to appointment required.
- Possession Grade 2 Water Treatment (T2) Certificate issued by the State Water Resources Control Board prior to appointment is required.
- Traffic Control certification recognized by Cal-OSHA is desirable.
Must reside within 25 miles of the nearest boundary to Mesa Water District in order to participate in the mandatory standby program based on operational needs and respond to emergencies.
When assigned to any Operator Level:
When assigned to Operator I:
- Operates a variety of equipment and tools including backhoes, front loaders, forklifts, skip loaders, rollers, dump trucks, boom truck, service truck, jack hammers, pavement saws, cutting torches, compressors, compactors, pneumatic tools, pumps, and hand and power tools; loads and unloads vehicles and equipment.
- Maintains assigned equipment and vehicles; performs safety checks and checks fluid levels of vehicles and equipment; cleans assigned vehicles and equipment.
- Utilizes proper safety precautions related to all work performed.
- Sets traffic control including safety devices, signs, and barricades; ensures safety of public and work crew.
- Performs a variety of other duties in support of department operations; cleans service yard; cleans and paints buildings and well sites; paints hydrants; repairs fences and gates; maintains grounds by planting and weeding; performs event set-up/break-down functions; assists in performing minor repairs and electrical work; may respond to public inquiries.
- Assists other departments such as facility maintenance, dispatch, water quality, customer service, and engineering as needed.
- Performs emergency repairs; responds to emergency calls at irregular hours.
- Maintains work, time, and material records; may prepare statistical reports and data analyses of assigned activities; may prepare daily reports.
- Attends safety and training sessions and seminars.
- May assist in performing other maintenance work as assigned.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Assists in the construction, maintenance, operation, and repair of the District's water distribution system; assists in performing a variety of water facilities maintenance work including: main line repair; service line installation, replacement, and repair; main line valve installation, replacement, and repair, fire hydrant installation, replacement, and repair; water main line flushing; pipe cutting; line tapping; water meter installation, replacement, repair, and testing; main line and hydrant valve turning and flushing; and angle stops, ball valves, and various size meter box installations.
- Participates in cutting, breaking, and hauling asphalt and concrete; assists in mixing and finishing concrete; prepares for and lays asphalt.