This position will perform apprentice-level electrical diagnostics on motors and motor controls, substation switch-gear and electrical distribution systems, and lighting systems within Austin Water process facilities.
Austin Water Electrician I:
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent, plus four (4) years of experience in commercial/industrial electrical installations.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- Must be able to obtain a State of Texas Electrical Journeyman License within six (6) months from date of employment.
- Valid Texas Class C Driver License.
Austin Water Electrician II:
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent, plus five (5) years of experience in commercial electrical installations and troubleshooting, including two (2) years of utility/industrial experience.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- Must possess a valid State of Texas Electrical Journeyman License.
- A valid Texas Class C Driver License.
- This position requires the employee to hold a valid State of Texas Electrical Journeyman License or be able to obtain a license within six (6) months of employment.
- This position will require that you be able to perform the following essential job functions with confidence and with or without reasonable accommodations: carrying or lifting up to 50 lbs., pushing or pulling up to 50 lbs., sitting, standing, walking, lying, climbing stairs and ladders, reaching overhead, kneeling, crawling, stooping/bending, twisting, repetitive foot and hand movement, driving, grasping and squeezing, exposure to extreme weather conditions, atmospheric conditions, hazardous conditions, and very loud noise.
- Candidates must be able to work in environments which may have hazardous atmospheres or in confined spaces where there is limited or restricted means for entry and exit, or where the activities of an employee are hindered.
- Candidates must be able to perform duties with confidence at sites where climbing heights of up to 200 feet is required on ladders that support up to 300 lbs.
- Selected candidate will be required to complete and pass a pre-employment physical exam to be considered for this position, which includes a Functional (FC) strength/agility test.
- Current State of Texas Journeyman Electrician License.
- Knowledge, training, and experience performing installations, maintenance, and diagnostics on 600v-5kv motors and motor controls, switchgear and 15kv electrical distribution systems.
- Experience working with solid state devices used in the operations of substation distribution equipment and process/motor control systems.
- Experience working in a water utility or similar industrial environment.
- Experience working on energized electrical power systems.
- Basic computer skills.
This position will be filled at one of the following levels:
AWU Electrician I:
Salary Range: $32.70 per hour
AWU Electrician II:
Salary Range: $32.70 – $39.56 per hour
Monday through Friday, 6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
his position will require you to work scheduled and unscheduled overtime, outside of normal operating hours. It will also require you to participate in an on-call shift rotation program and respond to after-hours emergencies. Both the overtime and on-call shifts may require you to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
3616 South First Street, Austin, TX 78704
The incumbent in this position may be asked to report to one or more of the following locations:
Hornsby Bend Biosolids Plant
2210 S. FM 973, Austin, TX 78725
South Austin Regional Wastewater Treatment Plant
1017 Fallwell Lane, Austin TX, 78717
Walnut Creek Wastewater Treatment Plant
7113 FM 969, Austin, TX 78724
Davis Water Treatment Plant
3500 W. 35th Street, Austin, Texas 78703
Water Treatment Plant 4
6800 North F. M. 620, Austin, Texas 78732
Ullrich Water Treatment Plant
1000 Forest View Dr., Austin, Texas 78746
Pump Stations & Reservoirs – South Service Support Center
3616 S. First St., Austin, Texas 78704
Work location and shift assignment for candidates selected will be determined based on business need and is subject to change at management’s discretion.
Criminal Background Investigation
This position does not require a Criminal Background Investigation