• high school or equivalent.
• Water/Wastewater Treatment Plant and Collection Systems Facility:
Six (6) years of progressively responsible experience in the operations, maintenance and repair of industrial equipment, five (5) years of which must be progressively responsible experience in water/wastewater treatment plant or wastewater collection systems facility to include (1) year of which includes lead or supervisory duties.
• Water Distribution Systems Facility:
Six (6) years of progressively responsible experience in the operations maintenance and repair of industrial equipment, five (5) years of which must be progressively responsible experience in potable water distribution systems facility or water treatment plant operations and repair and maintenance of potable water pumping and storage or water treatment (or comparable) plant equipment, one (1) year of which includes lead or supervisory duties.
Licenses or Certifications:
• Water Treatment Plant Operations and Water Distribution Systems Facility: TCEQClass B Surface Water License.
• Wastewater Treatment Plant Operations or Wastewater Collection Systems Facility: TCEQ Class B Wastewater Water License.
• Required to stay current in the AWU Respiratory Protection and Confined-Space Entry
• Current Texas Class "C" Driver's License.
• May require a Valid Texas Commercial Driver's License with endorsements
This position will supervise 5-6 employees in the management of Lift Stations and Remote Facilities Division operation and maintenance.
Working with Austin Water provides a number of health and welfare benefits, such as medical, paid leave time, a great retirement plan, training opportunities and more – click HERE for more information.
Technical Licensure: This position requires a Class “B” Wastewater License or higher from Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ). TCEQ may restrict granting an occupational license to individuals with certain criminal convictions. To review TCEQ’s criminal conviction guidelines, go online to TCEQ.
Driving Requirement: Applicants must be at least 18 years old, hold a current applicable driver’s license, and have no more than six (6) points assessed on Driver Record Evaluation (DRE). Please review the City of Austin Driving Standards to assess your driving record. DRE will be verified through the Department of Public Safety. Job Offer is contingent on having a driving record that meets the City’s Driver Record Evaluation Standards.
Confined Space Entry Requirements: Candidates must be able to work in environments which may have hazardous atmospheres or in confined spaces where there is limited or restricted means for entry and exit, or where the activities of an employee are hindered. Candidates must be able to qualify for the Utility’s Respiratory Protection Program.
Climbing Requirements: Candidates must be able to perform duties with confidence at sites where climbing ladders in excess of 200 feet is required, and where descending into confined spaces up to 30 feet deep is required. Safety climb equipment such as harnesses is required for climbing.
Selected candidate will be required to complete and pass a physical exam.
When completing the City of Austin employment application:
- Please be sure to detail on the application all previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- A detailed, complete employment application is required. It helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Be sure to provide job title and employment dates for all jobs you wish to be considered.
- A résumé is required, but will not substitute for a complete employment application. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please include contact information from previous employers.
- A cover letter is also required. In the cover letter candidates should describe, in concise detail, their interest in this position and highlight any prior experience that is relevant to this position.
If you are selected to interview:
- Your skill level in Microsoft Office 2013 Word, Excel and Outlook will be assessed, with a required minimum passing score of 70%.
If you are selected as a top candidate:
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED, undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution
- And are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
Effective October 1, 2014, all Austin Water worksite locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any AW worksite – including construction sites, parking lot, garage or in any personal vehicle located on the premises.
$25.80 – $33.43 per hour