Work, Serve, Thrive. With the City of Durham
Advance in your career while making a real difference in the community you serve.
Hiring Range: $39,852.80 – $43,097.60 (+ 1.50 shift differential)
Work Day/Hours: 11 p.m. – 7 a.m.
More than 300 talented, dedicated employees in the City of Durham’s Water Management Department work to keep safe drinking water flowing throughout the City and manage wastewater effectively. We lead long-term water and wastewater planning and infrastructure development, regularly treat and test systems for environmental compliance, and engage the public in water conservation to ensure all of our customers have clean, safe water every time they turn on the tap. If you share our passion for managing vital water resources, bring your skills and talent to Durham!
Water Management seeks a water plant operator who will be primarily located at the Brown Water Treatment Plant located in North Durham but will also be expected to back up operation & maintenance duties at the Williams Water Treatment plant off of Hillandale Road when needed. This job is subject to recall for weather-related emergencies.
Operators are responsible for plant operations surrounding the treatment of water for the citizens of Durham. This includes operating, adjusting, and maintaining equipment, keeping detailed and accurate records, obeying plant procedures, monitoring operations, cleaning equipment, analyzing samples while practicing safety precautions at all times. You will also be responsible for elevated and ground storage tanks, and 2 pressure zones including the associated pump and storage facilities. This is a trainee position. Once certification is obtained, you will receive a promotion. Certification must be obtained within one year after employment or the employee will be terminated.
This position is devoted to the operation of water and wastewater treatment facilities through the performance of skilled labor and technical work. Position serves as an entry-level hiring point for unlicensed and less experienced personnel, with the objective of obtaining required licensing within the time frames established by the City.
Responsible for operating, adjusting, and maintaining equipment; keeping records; monitoring physical plant operations by observing plant processes; cleaning plant equipment; monitoring chemical feeds; conducting minor repairs; collecting and analyzing samples under close supervision; and observing all work safety rules and procedures.
Assists with operating, adjusting, and maintaining equipment at an assigned water or wastewater facility; monitors physical plant operations by observing plant processes; monitors chemical feeds; collects and analyzes lab samples under close supervision; and complies with work safety rules and procedures.
- Cleans and performs minor repairs on plant equipment; cleans assigned work areas; and receives and unloads chemicals.
- Maintains records, logs, databases, documentation, and online systems; enters and updates data to document maintenance; reviews and proofs record to ensure accuracy and completeness.
Minimum Qualifications & Experience
High School Diploma or Equivalent (GED, HiSET, TASC)
- Six months of related experience (including internships and/or vocational education in water/wastewater treatment)
- Must have a valid, unrestricted, North Carolina driver's license "or" if you currently have another state driver's license, must be willing and able to obtain a valid NC driver's license within 60 days of hire.
- Basic math & chemistry calculations to accurately read meters & charts, maintain required records, & interpret readings to make necessary adjustments to treatment processes
- Make mixed arithmetic calculations involving multiplication, addition, subtraction, & division of whole numbers, decimals, & fractions
- Must obtain NC Grade C Surface Water Treatment Certification within 1 year of the start date
- OSHA: Confined Space, Lock Out/Tag Out, Blood-borne Pathogens, within 1 year of the start date
- This job is subject to recall for weather-related emergencies, and so candidates must be willing and able to work this recall schedule.
Additional Preferred Skills
One or more years of related utilities experience is preferred