SR Plant Operations Specialist (PO II)
Water Management, Brown Water Treatment Plant
Grade B23; Hiring Range: 45,198 – 48,900.80 + 1.50 shift differential for weekends
Weekends: Four 12-hour shifts + three 8-hour weekdays per pay period
Water Management seeks a water plant operator who will be primarily located at the Brown Water Treatment Plant located in North Durham but will also be expected to back up operation & maintenance duties at the Williams Water Treatment plant off of Hillandale Road when needed. This position covers the PM weekend shift working 11AM – 11PM in addition to 2 scheduled 8-hour days through week 1, 1 8-hour day week 2. You work 72 hrs. per 2 week pay period but are paid for 80. If not already, you must become State certified in order to remain in the position. This job is subject to recall for weather related emergencies.
Operators are responsible for plant operations surrounding the treatment of water for the citizens of Durham. This includes operating, adjusting, and maintaining equipment, keeping detailed and accurate records, obeying plant procedures, monitoring operations, cleaning equipment, analyzing samples while practicing safety precautions at all times. You will also be responsible for elevated and ground storage tanks, and 2 pressure zones including the associated pump and storage facilities.
· HS Diploma or GED
· NC Grade C Surface Water (or out of state equivalent)
· Minimum 2 years of related experience or Equivalent
- North Carolina Class "C" Driver's License
- Basic math & chemistry calculations to accurately read meters & charts, maintain required records, & interpret readings to make necessary adjustments to treatment processes
- Make mixed arithmetic calculations involving multiplication, addition, subtraction, & division of whole numbers, decimals, & fractions
- SCADA literate
Continuing Employment Requirements:
· Must obtain NC Grade B Surface Water Treatment Certification within 1 year of hire
· OSHA: Confined Space, Lock Out/Tag Out, Blood-borne Pathogens, and more
Enjoy our benefits which include 401(k), 457, retirement, retirement health savings plan, flex spending accounts, life insurance, vision, dental, short/long term disability options, & generous annual/holiday leave. Apply online at www.durhamnc.gov under Careers.
EOE - Individuals selected for offer of employment must pass the City of Durham physical examination, drug/alcohol test, and background/DMV investigation. You must have the legal right to work in the U.S. This agency will not sponsor any applicant to obtain documentation of that right to work.