Salary: $31,137.60 - $55,993.60 Annually
Under general supervision, the purpose of the position is to perform installation, repair and maintenance work in the construction and maintenance of the City's wastewater treatment, collection, and reuse facilities. Employees in this classification function at the entry level, and are accountable for ensuring the efficient and effective operation of wastewater facilities and equipment and gain abilities and skill primarily through on-the-job training. Employee works and confers with the Utility Maintenance Supervisor or higher level Technician on unusual or highly complex operational repairs or construction projects.
Other duties may be assigned.
- Assists work crews in installation, repair and maintenance of distribution and/or collection lines to include the operation of various pieces of mechanical equipment.
- Performs inspection of facilities and equipment to identify and repair existing or potential problems; informs supervisor and Chief Wastewater System Operator of breakdown or obstruction. Performs preventive maintenance as directed by the Utilities Maintenance Supervisor.
- Performs routine repairs, replacement tasks and construction projects to wastewater treatment, collection, and reuse facilities and equipment.
- Performs trades work, e.g., masonry, carpentry, electrical, welding; threads, cuts, fits and replaces pipes and plumbing infrastructure.
- Performs various custodial and maintenance duties in and around wastewater facilities, e.g., litter collecting, mowing, tree trimming, fertilizing, placing sod, raking, planting and painting.
- Operates a variety of hand and power tools for both electrical and mechanical repairs, e.g., air wrenches, air hammer, chisel, shovel, rodder.
- Assists in the development and integration of Utility Division policies and procedures for operational enhancement.
- Cleans, inspects and maintains lift stations and wastewater facilities and equipment, e.g., removes grease; lubricates motors and equipment, replaces packing in pumps and valves, replaces wiring and bearings in motors and pumps.
- Develops lists of materials required, identifies suppliers, orders and receives materials under the direction of the supervisor.
- Employee is subject to 24-hour on-call emergency availability and complies with Departmental on-call policies and procedures.
- Assists with emergency preparedness and evacuation activities as directed.
Required Education, Experience, License, Registration, and Certification Qualifications
High school diploma or GED; Vocational training/certification with major coursework in electrical, mechanical and/or pluming; supplemented by one (1) year responsible experience in the skilled labor of Utilities maintenance and repair; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Must possess a valid Class "B" Florida Commercial Driver's License or the ability to acquire the license within six (6) months from the date of hire.
Must possess a Class "C" Wastewater Collections System Certificate issued by the Florida Water and Pollution Control Operators Association or a wastewater collections system certificate issued by California State University, Sacramento within eighteen months of appointment.
Supplemental or Additional Information
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge of maintenance and repair techniques for assigned facilities, vehicles and equipment.
Knowledge and practice of occupational safety rules and practices.
Ability to perform strenuous work in all weather conditions.
Ability to perform electrical, welding and other repair and maintenance of assigned facilities and equipment.
Ability to work effectively with other employees and the public.
Skill in the use of power and manual tools and equipment required for repairs, maintenance and testing.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Ability to work in confined spaces.