The Bureau of Environmental Services (BES) is seeking a Wastewater Operator II. This is full performance level work in the operation and routine maintenance of a large, activated sludge, wastewater treatment plant. Wastewater Operators II maintain established water quality standards through the effective operation of all equipment involved in the treatment process including operating, monitoring and controlling a vast network of pumps, conveyers, air and chemical systems; making operational decisions including pumping rates and dosage adjustments, while working in one of five work units, which provide 24-hour coverage every day. The Wastewater Operator II maintains accurate records, performs standard laboratory tests and identifies equipment failures and maintenance needs.
This position is represented by Portland Laborers 483 collective bargaining agreement, view the agreement at https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bhr/27840.
The following minimum qualifications are required for this position:
- Knowledge of wastewater treatment processes including the operation of process control equipment, trouble shooting techniques, and laboratory procedures.
- Ability to maintain operational processes and procedures independently.
- Skill in the safe use of tools, power equipment, and specialized process related equipment.
- Skill in providing lead direction to staff, including assisting and reviewing work.
Applicants also must possess:
- A valid state driver's license and an acceptable driving record at the time of hire.
- Ability to obtain medical certification of respirator readiness and the absence of any physical characteristic that prevents rapid attainment of a tight seal between face and self-contained breathing apparatus requiring Wastewater Operators II to be clean-shaven.