DEPARTMENT: PUBLIC SERVICES
SALARY: $15.61 – $24.98 per hour
This is skilled technical work involving all aspects of the operation and maintenance of the City of Gulf Breeze and South Santa Rosa Utility Water Treatment Plants. Operations, process control and maintenance of chemical injection systems, piping, valving, pumps, motors, control panels, back-up generators, ground storage tanks, elevated storage tanks and SCADA systems monitoring and control. Work involves compliance monitoring and sampling for both potable water distribution systems. Compliance reporting and record keeping. Both systems are classified as Class C Water Treatment Plants and as such require a minimum of a Class C Drinking Water Treatment Plant License to operate. Work schedule includes coverage for holidays, weekends and assigned emergency on-call response after hours. The city pays overtime, holiday pay and compensates for on-call assignment. The employee works under the direct supervision of and is reviewed and evaluated by the Water Plants Supervisor.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Operates and maintains all aspects of the water treatment facilities to ensure safe, efficient treatment and proper operation and maintenance of equipment.
- Makes necessary adjustments to the treatment process, as required, to assure compliance with all rules, regulations and the facility’s standard operating procedures.
- Performs minor repairs and preventative maintenance on equipment and structures and assists maintenance staff, as necessary, with major or unusual maintenance tasks.
- Takes readings and measurements concerning various unit processes, collects samples, records measurements and helps maintain accurate records of operational and maintenance tasks performed.
- Performs basic physical and chemical analysis to monitor treatment efficiency.
- Informs the Water Plants Supervisor of any mechanical or process defect observed or suspected defects or problems and proceeds with corrective or preventative action.
- Demonstrates appropriate safety precautions and procedures for all tasks initiated.
- Helps train Trainees engaged in routine plant operation.
- Performs related work as required, including turf maintenance, housekeeping, and repairs to the water distribution system, sewer collection system and reclaim distribution system.
- Interpret operating data and observations to continually optimize the treatment process and equipment and makes adjustments to the process, as required, to effectively treat the water in compliance with all rules, regulations, ordinances, and the facility’s standard operating procedures.
- Required to assist in repairs and maintenance activities for collections and reuse systems.
(These essential job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related marginal duties as required.)
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
- Knowledge and understanding of operation and maintenance practices and procedures for drinking water treatment systems.
- Knowledge and understanding of the functions and mechanics of pumps, valves, compressors, motors and other plant equipment.
- Ability to monitor the operation of mechanical and electrical equipment in the treatment process and detect flaws and/or defects and repair same.
- Ability to read meters and charts accurately, to maintain comprehensive records of operation and maintenance tasks, and to perform required chemical and bacteriological analysis accurately.
- Ability to properly operate and maintain treatment processes in order to meet or exceed permit requirements and standard operating procedures.
- Ability to read and comprehend technical information related to the job and to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Skilled in the use of basic mechanical repair tools and procedures.
- Requires the ability to review, classify, categorize, prioritize, and/or analyze data.
- Includes exercising discretion in determining data classification, and in referencing such analysis to established standards for the purpose of recognizing actual or probable interactive effects and relationships.
- Requires the ability to provide guidance, assistance, and/or interpretation to others regarding the application of procedures and standards to specific situations.
- Requires the ability to operate, maneuver and/or control the actions of equipment, machinery, tools, and/or materials used in performing essential functions.
- Requires the ability to utilize a wide variety of reference, descriptive, and/or advisory data and information.
- Requires the ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division; the ability to calculate decimals and percentages; may include the ability to perform mathematical operations with fractions; may include ability to compute discount, interest, profit and loss, ration and proportion; may include ability to calculate surface areas, volumes, weights, and measures.
- Requires the ability to apply principles of rational systems; to interpret instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic, or schedule form; and to exercise independent judgment to adopt or modify methods and standards to meet variation in assigned objectives.
- Requires the ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness, and creativity in situations involving evaluation of information against measurable or verifiable criteria.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of an acceptable equivalency diploma. A minimum of one (1) year of experience as a licensed water treatment plant operator.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS OR REGISTRATIONS: Possess and maintain a valid Florida Driver’s License. Must possess a current Florida Class “C” Water Treatment Plant Operator License, or higher.
(A comparable amount of training, education or experience can be substituted for the minimum qualifications.)
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL SKILLS:
- Heavy (45 pounds and over) lifting and carrying
- Acceptable eyesight (with or without corrective lenses)
- Acceptable hearing (with or without hearing aid)
- Ability to communicate orally
- Walking and standing
- Operates equipment
- Depth perception
- Distinguish colors
- Works outside in various weather conditions
- Confined spaces
- Works inside
- Around light power equipment
- Slippery surfaces
- Below ground level
- Odor (Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.)
(Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.)
For any questions regarding the application or hiring process, please contact:
Senior Administrative Assistant,
Office of the City Clerks