Job Summary: This is a technical and routine administrative position responsible for the operation of the City's wastewater treatment plants and lift stations. Work involves supervising the testing of wastewater samples and the maintenance and repair of plant equipment. Work includes supervising subordinate plant operators.
- Directs and supervises the work of personnel involved in maintaining and repairing wastewater treatment equipment, testing wastewater samples, and other plant operation duties;
- Plans, schedules, and assigns work; instructs and trains in correct methods and procedures; handles personnel issues;
- Establishes work priorities; monitors work in progress; assists when necessary; ensures workers follow safe practices and departmental policies and procedures; reviews and evaluates employee performance;
- Coordinates the fats, oils and grease (FOG) program;
- Directs and supervises all phases of the wastewater process, including disinfection, screening, grit removal, biological treatment, clarification, dewatering, and filtration; schedules and directs wastewater sample collection and the testing of wastewater samples;
- Inspects the operation of the wastewater plants to ensure compliance with standards and proper operation; approves adjustments in treatment, ensures the plants and lift stations are properly maintained;
- Maintains the Industrial Pretreatment Program in compliance with all state and federal regulations including reporting requirements;
- Develops and oversees the implementation of the wastewater plant budget including purchasing;
- Ensures proper use of chemicals; ensures chemical dosage is in compliance with State guidelines; ensures the proper storage of chemicals; ensures laboratory is clean and operating according to policy and procedure;
- Prepares, submits and maintains accurate reports and records on plant operations; prepares and submits orders for chemicals and supplies; prepares and maintains accurate reports and records on chemicals consumed, plant pumping and other purification activities; as required by State and Federal laws.
- Collects samples from plant processes and records data collected in log;
- Inspects, monitors and adjusts all wastewater treatment processes and procedures;
- Performs plant operator duties as necessary;
- Maintains inventory of chemicals necessary for wastewater treatment;
- Responds to customer complaints;
- Handles correspondence between the City of Villa Rica and the Georgia EPD concerning wastewater treatment facilities;
- Responds to and participates in emergency calls;
- May operate City vehicles in the performance of duties or to attend training programs;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work Environment: Work is performed both in and out of doors, sometimes in inclement weather conditions. Hazards associated with the operation of power tools and equipment, working around high voltage pumps and with chlorination equipment are present. Appropriate safety equipment must be worn at all times.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility: This position supervises plant operators.
Associate’s Degree or technical school coursework in wastewater plant operation or water chemistry from an accredited college or university; Prefer Bachelor’s degree; Five (5) years of experience in repairing and maintaining wastewater treatment system equipment and in water/wastewater treatment plant operation with at least two (2) years in a supervisory capacity; Possession of a Wastewater Plant Operators Certificate Class I or II certification level as required by the Georgia EPD. Possession of a valid driver's license (Class B) and a satisfactory Motor Vehicle Record (MVR); equivalent combination of education or experience is acceptable
Applications can be found at the City Website http://villarica.org/departments/human-resources/ or at City Hall. Please complete Application and Voluntary Self Identification form.