Posting Title: Program Manager I or II (Planning, Research, and Engagement)
Job Requisition Number: COA088956
Position Number: 108623
Job Type: Full-Time
Division Name: Systems Planning
Minimum Qualifications: This position will be filled at one of two levels depending upon qualifications. For Minimum Qualifications, please click on the appropriate job description below.
This position will be filled at one of the following levels depending upon candidate qualifications:
- Program Manager I: $30.14 to $37.68 per hour
- Program Manager II: $32.89 to $41.93 per hour
The Water Resources Team in the Systems Planning Division is responsible for managing the City’s water rights and water supply contracts, performing water supply analyses, leading the development and facilitating implementation of long range water resource plans (including Water Forward, Austin’s 100 year Integrated Water Resource Plan), participating in the regional water supply planning process, supporting the City’s partnership with the LCRA, and participating in a number of related efforts including climate resiliency initiatives, innovative water strategies, social equity and affordability efforts, and environmental stewardship initiatives.
Working as a part of the Water Resources Team, key duties of this position include:
- Planning, analysis, and technical research work to support integrated water resource planning in the context of climate adaptation, community resilience, racial equity, and environmental justice
- Support for community engagement efforts related to water resources planning and water management strategy implementation
- Liaison responsibilities for the Water Forward Task Force, including meeting scheduling and logistics, preparation of materials, and support for hybrid and in-person meetings
Working with Austin Water provides a number of health and welfare benefits such as low-cost medical, dental, vision, paid leave time, a highly competitive retirement plan, training opportunities and more. Please click HERE for more information.
When completing a City of Austin employment application:
- Please be sure to detail on the application all previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- A detailed, complete employment application is required. It helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Be sure to provide job titles and employment dates for all jobs you wish to be considered.
- A resume is required, but will not substitute for a complete employment application. Please include contact information from previous employers.
- A cover letter is also required. In the cover letter candidates should describe, in concise detail, their interest in this position and highlight any prior experience that is relevant to this position.
If you are selected as a top candidate:
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED, undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution and proof of your professional licenses or certifications.
- If you are identified as a top candidate and are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
- This position requires a Valid Texas Class C Driver License or the ability to acquire one by your hire date. External New Hires must meet the City of Austin’s Driver Record Evaluation (DRE) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months.
- This position will be required to travel and report to other Austin Water worksites.
Effective October 1, 2014, all Austin Water worksite locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any AW worksite – including construction sites, parking lots, garages or in any personal vehicle located on the premises.
Pay Range: Please see Notes to Applicants section
Hours: Monday – Friday: 40 hours/week between 8:00am – 5:00pm
Hybrid/Teleworking schedules are available (Minimum one day per week In-Person)
May work other hours as required.
Job Close Date: 05/16/2023
Type of Posting: External
Department: Austin Water Utility
Grant Funded or Pooled Position: Not Applicable
Location: Waller Creek Center, 625 E. 10th St., Austin, 78701
- Strong understanding of and experience with integrated water resource planning, especially the context of climate adaptation, community resilience, racial equity, and environmental justice
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative research and data analysis methods, tools, and applications, especially spatial analysis applications (Ex: ArcGIS, Excel, Python, RStudio, etc.)
- Experience developing and implementing engagement strategies to involve community members and groups; experience analyzing the results of public engagement activities to inform planning
- Strong ability to understand and communicate complex technical information to a diverse audience using a variety of methods including written reports, print and web content, formal and informal oral communication, and information visualization
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities: This position will be filled at one of two levels depending upon qualifications. For Duties, Functions and Responsibilities, please click on the appropriate job description below. Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: This position will be filled at one of two levels depending upon qualifications. For Knowledge, Skills and Abilities, please click on the appropriate job description below. Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Criminal Background Investigation: This position does not require a Criminal Background Investigation
EEO/ADA: City of Austin is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or Texas Relay by dialing 7-1-1.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual’s AIDS, AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * This position requires graduation with Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in a field related to the job plus three (3) years of experience in a field related to the job, one (1) year of which was in a lead, supervisory, project or program management capacity. Experience may substitute for education up to a maximum of four (4) years. Do you meet these qualifications?
- * This position requires a valid Texas Class C Driver License. Do you have a valid Texas Class C Driver License or, if selected for this position, do you have the ability to acquire a valid Texas Class C Driver License by your hire date?
- * The City of Austin Driver Eligibility Standards require that External New Hires meet the City’s Driver Record Evaluation (DRE) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months. Do you meet this requirement?
- * Were you referred to this opportunity by an Austin Water employee? If yes, please provide the employee’s full name.
- (Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter