The City of Ormond Beach is looking for an experienced plant pump mechanic to join our team!
Why work here? Besides being paid to work with a great group of people in a beautiful beach
town, we offer an annual shoe allowance and uniforms. We pay 100% of employee monthly
premiums for medical, dental, vision, life, and long term disability insurance (you can purchase
coverage for dependents). With our medical insurance, you have free access to over 70 gyms!
We have 10 paid holidays, and you will accrue 3.6 weeks of paid time off each year (plus more
after 5 years!). To top it all off, the City contributes 7% of your salary annually into a 401(a)
retirement account (above and beyond your annual salary). If you are qualified, we invite you to
apply today at www.ormondbeach.org/jobs!
Performs skilled mechanical work for maintenance and repair of equipment and machinery
servicing operational needs at the City's water and wastewater facilities, lift stations, wells, and
pumping stations under the general direction of the Maintenance Foreman. This position
requires the availability to work rotating on-call shifts.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Makes inspections of water and wastewater treatment plants, pumping stations, and well
houses to determine operating conditions and needed repairs.
- Determines materials and equipment for repair and maintenance work; prepares
requisitions for supplies and repair parts.
- Troubleshoots mechanical and electrical equipment for necessary repairs.
- Performs routine and preventative maintenance and repairs on pumps, electrical motors,
and other related equipment.
- Inspects and replaces bearings, seals, and coolants, and maintains proper oil and coolant
levels in all plant and remote facility equipment.
- Prepares and maintains time, material, and labor reports and a time sheet.
- Assists the plant operators when necessary.
- Performs housekeeping duties on the maintenance area to promote safety.
- Participates in on-call and after-hours duties as assigned. Must be available for overtime and emergency call-outs when necessary.
- Assists in preparation for, response to, and recovery from, the impacts of a wide variety ofdisasters or emergency situations and may be temporarily assigned to other duties, locations, and shifts.
- Meets attendance requirements.
- Promotes positive customer service environment internally and externally.
- Performs other job related functions as assigned.
Education and/or Experience:
High school diploma, GED, or equivalent recognized certificate, supplemented by a minimum of two (2) years of experience in the repair and maintenance of electrical and mechanical plant equipment, including welding, plumbing, electrical knowledge, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Possession of a valid Florida driver’s license.
- Knowledge of methods and techniques used in the installation, repair and maintenance of electrical motors, pumps, valves and other operating equipment typically found in water and wastewater treatment, distribution and collection systems.
- Ability to perform equipment trouble shooting and inspection to determine operating status and repair methods for various plant and remote system machines.
- Ability to work from blueprints, equipment manuals, shop drawings, and written and oral instructions.
- Familiarization with appropriate tools and shop equipment for repair and maintenance of treatment plant and remote systems equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully meet the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sufficient physical strength and agility to do manual labor; often for extended periods of time and under adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to move up to 75 lbs. over a distance of 100 feet.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle under all weather conditions any time of day or night.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to climb, balance, stand, walk, use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distant, and peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is moderate to high.
- The temperature level in the typical work environment is moderate to high, usually ranging between 60 to 90 degrees F seasonally dependent. During winter months the temperature in the morning and evening hours can occasionally be below freezing or 32 degrees F for short duration periods.
- Several wastewater system components are included in the work environment. Several chemical feed systems make up a portion of the system environment and Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) are available for review to insure employee is familiar with appropriate safe handling procedures associated with each chemical of interest.
- Additional adverse conditions are present in work environment typical to those associated with sanitary sewer systems to include solid, liquid and gaseous forms of domestic and industrial waste streams having periodic septic characteristics.
- Work performed in plant and remote areas; on equipment housed in deep and high structures; and with exposure to electrical components and high rotation speed mechanical equipment.