DEPARTMENT: PUBLIC SERVICES
Commensurate based on qualifications
$17.67 to $20.50 per hour
Advanced work involving the overall supervision of and the work of installation, operation and maintenance of water lines, water plants, and chemical feed systems. Responsibilities include drinking water monitoring and sampling and submitting samples and reports as well as understanding and implementing state regulatory requirements for potable water distribution systems. Incumbent is expected to assist with other utility work including repairs of the reclaim system, collection system and construction activities as needed. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Water and Sewer Utility Supervisor. Incumbent will be issued a city take home vehicle and cell phone.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Operates valves, pumps, motors, test equipment
- Performs sampling and analyses
- Completes departmental reports and compliance reports for FDEP
- Helps train new employees.
- Repairs irrigation systems.
- Performs routine maintenance on water distribution systems
- Installs and repairs water lines, well points, pumps, and all related facilities.
- Digs and refills ditches, loads dirt and construction materials.
- Operates equipment in flushing water lines
- Performs taps on water and reclaim system.
- Locates buried pipes, valves, etc.
- Turns services on and off
- Maintains, inspects, and repairs pumps.
- Reads meters
- Operates back hoe, truck, trailer, boring machine, trencher
(These essential job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related marginal duties as required.)
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
- Knowledge or materials, methods, practices and equipment used in drinking water distribution systems maintenance, installation, and repair activities
- Ability to communicate verbally using the English language
- Ability to operate heavy equipment including back hoe, boring machine, etc.
- Knowledge of FDEP regulatory requirements pertaining to drinking water distribution systems
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High school graduation or possession of an acceptable equivalency diploma. Three (3) years of experience in heavy manual labor and the use of hand and light power tools preferably in the water distribution/sewer collection system area.
(A comparable amount of training, education or experience can be substituted for the minimum qualifications.)
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS OR REGISTRATIONS:
- Possess and maintain a valid Florida Driver’s License
- Class “C” level or higher water plant operator certification OR Level II Drinking Water Distribution Operator License (issued by the state of Florida)
ADDITIONAL LICENSING REQUIRED AFTER HIRE:
Within one year of hire date, incumbent is expected to acquire the following:
- Backflow Tester Certification
- If already holding Level II Distribution License; obtain Class C Water Plant Operator License
- Class B or higher CDL with Tanker endorsement
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL SKILLS:
- Heavy (45 pounds and over) lifting and carrying
- Acceptable eyesight (with or without corrective lenses)
- Acceptable hearing (with or without hearing aid)
- Ability to communicate orally
- Climbing, walking, standing
- Kneeling, bending, stooping
- Works outside in various weather conditions
- Confined spaces
- Around light power equipment
- Slippery surfaces
- Below ground level
(Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.)