Salary: $62,691.20 - $97,177.60 Annually
This position performs responsible supervisory and management duties of specialized work, consisting of planning, coordinating, and directing the construction, maintenance and repairs of the wastewater collection systems, wastewater lift stations, and stormwater collection systems. This includes the planning, coordinating, and directing of the construction, maintenance and repairs for the water distribution system and all appurtenances. Assists in long and short term planning and development of infrastructure, policies and procedures for the department. Work is performed with considerable independence under the general supervision of the Assistant Public Services Director.
This position is exempt. Fair Labor Standards Act overtime provisions will not apply.
Per Florida Statute 295.065, certain service members and veterans, and the spouses and family members of the service members and veterans, receive preference and priority in employment by the state and are encouraged to apply.
- Evaluates, plans, coordinates and directs maintenance and repair of the water distribution system, facilities, and appurtenances.
- Plans, coordinates and directs maintenance and repair of the wastewater collection systems, wastewater lift stations, stormwater collection system, including stormwater structures and outfalls as well as, facilities and equipment.
- Supervises and coordinates work assignments for field personnel, cost analysis, records, reports, inspections, and priority assignments.
- Manages the operation and maintenance of sanitation, water, wastewater, reclaim and stormwater facilities.
- Supervises Operations Managers and assists them with the efficient and effective use of available resources; supports subordinates in daily work activities.
- Establishes new Utilities projects for conformance with Land Development Regulations.
- Evaluates breaks in emergencies. Plans and oversees the preventive maintenance program for the water system.
- Attends meetings as designated by Department Director.
- Maintains comprehensive, current knowledge and awareness of regulatory rules. Implements rule changes; establishes and develops programs and procedures to keep current with regulatory requirements and guidelines.
- Recommends changes in operational procedures and presents to the Assistant Department Director for evaluation.
- Manages Public Services personnel related issues, including but not limited to, the hiring and training of new personnel, terminations, performance reviews, disciplinary actions; the implementing and enforcing of City personnel policies, departmental policies and procedures.
- May be required to work rotating shifts, on-call duties and extended hours in emergency situations.
- Assists with strategic long-term planning and establishes goals and objectives for the Public Services department.
- Completes, prepares, reviews, approves and responds to inquiries, concerns, complaints and requests for assistance regarding areas of responsibility.
- Supervises and participates in maintenance projects requiring special expertise or experience.
- Coordinates within the department and other departments on joint or cooperative projects, monitors work tasks and projects to ensure timely completion.
- Performs general administrative/clerical work as necessary, including preparing reports and correspondence, entering and retrieving computer data, copying and filing documents, sending and receiving faxes, and answering the telephone.
- Attends seminars, workshops and conferences as appropriate to enhance job knowledge and skills.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in the wastewater & stormwater collection/water distribution systems; two (2) years of which must have been in a supervisory capacity.
- Obtain a Class “B” Commercial Florida Driver’s License with airbrake endorsement within one (1) year from date of employment..
- Class “B” Certification in Wastewater Operation, preferred.
- Class “B” Certification or greater in Water Operation, preferred.
- Skilled in Microsoft Windows as well as Word, and Excel Applications.
- Experience with Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS).
- Valid Florida Driver’s license.
In some cases, an equivalent combination of higher education and experience may be considered, provided that the education and experience is in a relevant and related field.
Essential Physical Functions & Environmental Conditions
- Continual light work and occasional heavy work.
- Requires frequent walking and standing, climbing, stooping, reaching, and bending.
- Good finger/hand dexterity and hand/eye coordination.
- Good eyesight, hearing, and speech.
- Regular driving of vehicle.
- Must be able to wear PPE.
Works inside in an environmentally controlled space; but will occasionally work outside in adverse environmental conditions (e.g., heat, cold, and rain) for moderate periods of time. Some tasks may be performed with exposure to construction and water/wastewater site hazards, traffic, and moving machinery. Involves working with high voltage equipment, and heights and below ground.
The City of Clermont is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Americans with Disabilities Act requires the City to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss potential accommodations with management.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform all of the essential job functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary job functions described herein. Job functions described are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees may be assigned additional duties by management as deemed necessary. Duties not contained herein may be considered essential to performing this job successfully, just as though they were included in this job description.
The City of Clermont has the right to revise this job description at any time. This description does not represent in any way a contract of employment.