Objective: To perform a variety of skilled technical and maintenance work in the operations, maintenance and repair of the Distribution and treatment facilities and system.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible to consult and follow the monthly published schedule for your daily site visits without deviation unless directed by the Operations Manager or the President/Owner.
- Following each site’s SOP’s and ensuring all duties are completed during each visit.
- Monitor the performance of all equipment, gauges and charts in the treatment plant and pump stations.
- Record statistical data concerning plant operations.
- Operate pumps and valves to control and adjust flow and treatment process. Any process changes must be at the direction of the Operations Manager or President/Owner.
- Assures that plant operates within required standards.
- Operates sewage treatment, sludge processing, and disposal equipment in wastewater treatment plant to control flow and processing of sewage.
- Monitors control panels and adjusts valves manually or by remote control to regulate flow of sewage.
- Maintain log of operations and records meter and gauge readings. Any operational changes must be noted in the log book immediately upon the change being implemented.
- May collect sewage sample, using dipper or bottle and conduct laboratory tests, using testing equipment, such as colorimeter.
- Must have the ability to understand and carry out written instructions.
- Maintains, operates, repairs/replaces equipment as necessary.
- Starts and stops pumps, engines, and generators to control flow of raw sewage through filtering, settling, aeration, and sludge digestion processes.
- Monitors and makes adjustments to electric motors, pumps, valves, and filters to regulate flow of water or wastewater through plant.
- Make adjustments as necessary to control flow of chemicals admitted into tanks, clearwells, and pipelines.
- Edit/Develop SOPs for newly acquired facilities or when operating procedures are adjusted due to changes in operations.
- Audit operations manuals to ensure that all material is up to date at all times.
- As required, participate in the training process for Treatment Plant Operator II and III.
- Monitors performance of electrical systems, circuits or equipment of the facility.
- Must act in a decisive manner, using good judgment. Must be able to assess problems and situations, able to anticipate needs and evaluate alternatives. Discuss these alternatives with Operations Manager before making changes.
- The ability to be self-directed to carry out tasks and assignments in a team or individual environment.
- Ensure that all site log sheets and paperwork are turned into the office by the 7th day following the last day of the month.
- Other duties as assigned.
Training and Experience:
- High School diploma or GED equivalent.
- Holding a Current MD Water/Wastewater Treatment Operator’s License.
- Valid drivers license.
Good reading, math, writing, scientific and verbal communication skills; a mechanical aptitude; and the ability to read, interpret, and record data from meters, gauges, scales, panels, and other equipment.