Salary: $35,921.60 - $55,660.80 Annually
The Mohave County Public Works Department is currently recruiting for a Water Systems Operator in the Water and Improvement Districts in Golden Valley.
Performs work involved in the maintenance and operation of public or other related water systems.
Work is performed under general supervision of a higher level of authority and requires independent decisions according to established procedures. Work requires the exercise of initiative and independent judgment in interpreting and ensuring compliance to regulations.
Exercises direct supervision of subordinates.
Essential Job Functions
- Operates water systems in accordance with Federal, State and Local rules and regulations. Performs required testing and sampling of water.
- Operates and maintains water system, wells, storage tanks, hydro-pneumatic tanks, lines and valves, monitor pump motors to detect unusual noises, vibrations or excessive heat. Utilizes backhoes, service trucks, compactors and hand tools.
- Perform efficiency tests on pumps, wells and other equipment.
- Troubleshoot and correct minor electrical and mechanical equipment problems. Repair and overhaul pumps, motors, chlorinators and control valves.
- Determines best course of action in the completion of assignments including setting priorities; estimating number of hours to complete assignment, determining labor required; and determining necessary materials, equipment and supplies.
- Supervises, coordinates and performs a variety of administrative work such as scheduling of subordinate personnel; maintains records; responds to requests for information or services; and performs related administrative, planning and research activities. Prepares reports of expenditures, activities performed and other related required information.
- Prepares performance evaluations; recommends and initiates disciplinary actions up to and including separation; recommends hiring; approves vacations and time off; prepares work schedules and assignments; supervises the activities of assigned personnel; monitors reports and record keeping activities filed by assigned personnel for completeness, accuracy, and adherence to policy and procedure guidelines; instructs personnel in departmental policies, procedures and techniques; and provides and recognizes additional training in the safe operation and servicing of required equipment, tools and materials in assigned area and methods and techniques of maintaining and operating public or other related water systems.
- Checks progress of assignments performed by assigned personnel, verifying adherence to assignment requirements, and determining quality of work performed.
- Determines proper and efficient usage of materials, equipment, hand, and power tools by assigned personnel in the performance of their assignments.
- Selects and orders required materials and supplies in accordance with established purchasing procedures. Determines and recommends additional equipment and tools requirements for assigned area.
- Maintains an adequate inventory of materials, equipment and tools required to fulfill work assignments.
- Prepares complete, accurate and timely budget information, cost data, reports, records and logs.
- Installs water services. Repairs broken water lines. Maintains buildings and grounds.
- Performs readings of well meters and storage tanks levels.
- Keep detailed records of maintenance activities and prepare reports.
- Maintains good public relations with residents in the district and with other agencies and suppliers for the district.
- Communicate effectively with management, employees, customers, regulatory personnel and others.
- Troubleshoot and address water related complaints, discuss with customers their water-related concerns.
- Respond to water system emergencies.
- Routinely flush and clean water mains, clean and disinfect storage tanks.
- Supervise treatment and assure proper monitoring and control. Safely handle, store and utilize treatment chemicals.
- Keep water system plans up to date.
- Protect equipment and facilities from corrosion, vandalism and/or other damage.
- Conduct safety inspections, follow safety rules and provide safety training.
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Performs related work as required.
- Performs special assignments as requested.
- Exercise regular and predictable attendance and punctuality in accordance with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures.
- High School Diploma/GED
- Three (3) years successful experience in the operation and maintenance of water systems and water distribution sites.
- OR an equivalent combination of experience, education and training which provides the desired knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
SPECIAL JOB REQUIREMENT
- Must possess a valid driver's license for operation of motor vehicles on Arizona roads at the start of employment and maintain said license while employed in this position.
- Must provide acceptable driving history at no cost to the County.
- Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ)'s Water Operator - Grade 1 and Water Treatment-Grade 1 Certifications must be attained within three (3) months of employment.
- Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ)'s Water Operator - Grade 2 and Water Treatment-Grade 2 Certifications must be attained within a eighteen (18) months of employment.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Laws, regulations, state statutes, policies and procedures pertaining to the operation of domestic water districts and Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (A.D.E.Q.) rules and regulations.
- Public administration, public works and/or related engineering fields.
- Operation and maintenance of water delivery systems.
- Records management and general bookkeeping practices.
- Department policies, rules and procedures
- Mohave County Personnel Policy and Procedures and Department Regulations
- The installation, operation and maintenance of water meters, water lines, and related equipment to include use of hand tools and the operation of a backhoe, dump truck, water tanker and service trucks
- Communicating and maintaining professionalism with the public, co-workers, and work contacts.
- Set priorities, estimate material quantities, equipment needs, and labor hours required to perform and complete work assignments.
- Perform work accurately and in accordance with established standards applicable to the operation and maintain of water systems which include regulations, guidelines, manuals, blueprints, diagrams, specifications, and oral and written instructions.
- Maintain accurate, up-to-date records.
- Interpret and apply technical materials encountered.
- Interact with other professionals and the public in the administration of water district functions.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with associate personnel, the general public, contractors and related agencies, and County departments.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Fulfill all physical requirements of the position.
- Perform the essential functions of the job specifications with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Comply with Mohave County Personnel Policy and Procedures and Department Regulations.