Community and Environment Department
RCAC’s environmental staff works with rural water, wastewater and solid waste systems to make them sustainable. Staff works with the volunteer boards of directors and staff of the small systems to make sure they comply with state and federal regulations and understand the finances and operations of the systems. Outcomes of RCAC’s work include: system regulatory compliance; access of resources for capital improvement projects; as well as, capacity building of boards and staff on technical, financial and managerial best practices.
The Rural Development Specialist II will oversee a specific program within the Environmental department’s scope of work and provide other assistance to rural communities as necessary. The position will be approximately 20 percent time overseeing the program and 80 percent time doing field work.
Specific job goals, objectives and tasks are established for each employee as part of the annual evaluation and work plan process. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Supervise the implementation of the program in the field
- Develop and manage relationships with client communities
- Manage relationships with government agencies, foundations, and other program funders
- Foster relationships with vendors and subcontractors who provide goods and services to RCAC to support program implementation
- Collaborate with RCAC’s development team to raise funds for the program
- Coordinate and participate in networks and associations with RCAC partners
- Execute field work as necessary to meet the objectives of the program
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skills and Qualifications
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and effectively prioritize multiple tasks.
- Commitment to rural communities, drinking water access and/or health equity issues
- Capacity to coordinate staff, subcontractors and direct program implementation
- Ability to listen effectively and communicate verbally and in writing
- Expertise in project and grant management
- Proficiency with personal computers, including cloud computing and Microsoft Office Suite
- Bilingual Spanish/English speaker highly desirable
Physical Job Requirements:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable persons with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work performed in an office requires ability to operate computers and various pieces of office equipment, including telephone. Use may be moderate (average 2 hours per day) to heavy (4 or more hours per day)
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to stand and/or sit for prolonged periods of time; walk; talk; hear; use hand to finger; handle; feel or operate objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb, balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
The employee may occasionally lift and or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
This position also requires moderate (up to 2 days per month) to heavy (up to 10 days per month) automobile and airline travel, including overnight travel.
Preferred Education and Experience:
A combination of experience and education is required to qualify for the position.
A typical qualifying combination would be:
Five (5) years of any combination of applicable experience in project management, grant management, drinking water access or related environmental fields. (Additional qualifying education may be substituted for up to one year of required experience).
Bachelor’s degree (additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the required education).
Possession of a valid drivers' license and proof of insurance that meets the minimum requirements of RCAC corporate liability policy will be required when traveling for business purposes.