The City of Sacramento, Department of Utilities is seeking to fill a Senior Generator Technician position. This position performs a complex range of skilled and technical tasks in the inspection, repair, preventiveand corrective maintenance and modification on Internal Combustion (IC) engines, diesel generators and other IC gaseous engine tests; replaces or adjusts engine components such as valves, pistons, bearings, emission systems, and other related systems; and, interprets schematic wiring and modifies diesel control circuits. Job Bulletin
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform routine inspections and make modifications to IC engines, diesel generators and associated equipment.
- Perfom preventive and corrective maintenance on Automatic Transfer Switches (ATS) and annunciator panels.
- Perform load testing on untis to identify possible problems and prevent wet stacking.
- Make electrical and mechanical wiring modifications to diesel control circuits.
- Rebuild and repair gas compressors such as: turbochargers used for foreced-induction of IC engines, head gaskets, seals, water pumps, catalytic converters, torque heads, belts and hoses.
- Conduct automatic and manual transfer tests of simulated power outages to ensure generators are functioning properly, interpret test results and report recommendations.
- Assist and participate in emission testing.
- Test batteries, fuel coolant and oil,
- Ship oil samples for analysis, interpret oil sample analysis, diagnose problems and submit work order for repairs.
- Interpret schematic wiring to isolate problems.
- Transport and dispose hazardous materials.
- Assist with technical training and the evaluation of staff.
- Principles and practices of electrical, mechanical, thermal and hydraulic systems.
- Engine Control systems.
- Electrical and mechanical safety procedures.
- Applicable local, state and national regulations
- Natural Fire Protections Codes.
- Lock-out/tag out procedures
- Interpreting electrical and mechanical drawings.
- Indentifying and repairing problems with engine control systems.
- Correcting wet stacking conditions.
- Troubleshooting and diagnosing electrical problems.
Education and Experience
Successful completion of a two year technical electircal or mechanical trade school; or military training/apprenticeship
Three years of experience as a Generator Mechanic with the City of Sacramento. Or, Five years of journey-level experience performing general maintenance, servicing, and repair of diesel and other gaseous IC engines and other electrical systems related to light and heavy duty machinery and equipment.