The mission of the Regional Water Quality Control Plant (RWQCP) is to protect San Francisco Bay by cleaning and treating wastewater before it is discharged to San Francisco Bay.
This position develops and maintains the City's stormwater and wastewater treatment and recycled water plant technology, communication, SCADA, PLC , alarm, public storm website, and computer systems to meet federal, state, and local regulations to protect public health and safety. The Technologist is responsible for systems analysis, programming and design in the solution of data processing issues and maintenance of computer systems at the Water Quality Treatment Plant; maintains close coordination with the Information Technology Department to ensure integration of all systems with City-wide MIS functions. Acts as a resource to departments in the planning, development, and control of data systems.
This position is part of the Service Employees' International Union (SEIU).
Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following: Essential Functions:
- Formulates programming changes in response to departments' needs. Initiates and documents code changes, prepares program descriptions and documentation, prepares operation instructions. Tests and debugs programs as necessary. Submits program changes to outside vendors for use in source programs.
- Provides project management for specific automated systems projects.
- Assists in identification of systems software bugs or modification needs. Formulates proper resolution request to system representatives; monitors program problems resolution.
- Identifies areas where change, use, or increased use of automated systems would provide increased speed, accuracy or efficiency in City operations.
- Works with other department representatives to prioritize City-wide requests for new developments or enhancements. Provides input to management regarding long-range automation plans.
- Recommends policies for the use of automated systems.
- Oversees testing of new systems and identifies discrepancies in information processing.
- Develops or reviews hardware and software specifications for new automated systems and identifies impacts on existing or other planned systems; delivers time and cost estimates of new systems to assist in preparing project budgets.
- Maintains close coordination between the Administrative Services Department and other departments to ensure integration of all systems with City-wide MIS functions.
- Provides technical expertise to department staff.
- Provides City-wide user training and support for new and existing automated systems.
- Identifies City needs, organizes project, and implements all aspects of the City's geographic information system (GIS). Oversees GIS application development, contract development, or software acquisition.
- Provides network design, analysis and recommendation of hardware and software components with consideration for the application software, installation of hardware and software, and implementation.
- Is responsible for network operating system recommendations, implementation and support.
- Provides network support, monitor of traffic, performance tuning, segmentation techniques including network management hardware and software, routine network management and diagnostic equipment.
- Understands network hardware including network interface cards, cabling and wire categories, communications hub, routers, bridges and gateways.
- Resolves complex network related problems involving computer hardware, software and application systems.
When assigned to System Administration:
- Administers the server hardware, including peripherals and operating and application software.
- Is responsible for performance and availability of the servers and the associated maintenance and support that ensures these functions.
- Acquires hardware and software required to maintain satisfactory performance and availability.
- Tests, corrects and otherwise makes programs and systems operational, interacting with operators, programmers, clerks and department personnel.
- Acts as systems software specialist in revising, updating and maintaining vendor support software.
- Schedules production workload, assists in operation budgets preparation and administers aspects of operation development and implementation.
- Formulates new or revises operating systems software; peripheral devices and their software drivers; prepares flow chart of procedures and block diagrams; codes programs into computer language; prepares operation instructions, programs descriptions and documentation; develops clerical procedures and output formats.
- Consults with department representatives on objectives, requirements and effectiveness of proposed and existing computer systems.
- Trains computer operators, programmers, and personal computer technicians.
For Public Safety Position:
- Identify automation requirements of the City's Police and Fire Departments. Oversee application development, contract development, vendor management and/or software acquisition.
For the full job description, go here
Sufficient education, training and/or work experience to demonstrate possession of the following knowledge, skills, and abilities which would typically be acquired through:
- Bachelor's degree in CIS, Business Administration or related field with specialization in electronic data processing, programming, systems analysis, and system design, or equivalent.
- Depending upon area of assignment, three to four years of increasingly responsible experience in information technology.
The ideal candidate will have experience in the following:
- Microsoft servers,
- Oracle database,
- GE iFix SCADA HMI,
- Allen Bradley PLCs,
- Maintaining onsite SCADA networks.
- Experience in designing private networks
- Oracle Database programing or administration
Additionally, the ideal candidate will have the following attributes:
- Problem solver
- Team player
- Dependable, reliable and flexible
- Fosters a positive attitude.