Wastewater Treatment PlantOperator II - ReclamationServices
SALARY: $22.23 - $32.31 Hourly
STATUS: Full-Time Regular
FLSA: Non-exempt position, eligible for overtime compensation.
OPENING DATE: 06/04/21
CLOSING DATE: 07/01/21 11:59 PM
Located in the beautiful Sonoran Desert, Scottsdale, Arizona is bordered by Phoenix to the west and the McDowell Mountains on the east. Scottsdale is annually rated among the nation's most desirable communities to live in, visit and do business in. Check out more about Scottsdale.
The application and supplemental questions are an integral part of the selection process, and must be completed in full in order for you to be considered as a candidate. Please complete each section and answer all questions as thoroughly as possible. DO NOT state “See resume” in lieu of answering. Unanswered questions, incomplete responses, omissions, or partial informationmay result in disqualification from the selection process.
About The Position
The Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator II performs intermediate-level operational tasks involved in the operation and maintenance of the City's wastewater treatment plant equipment and processes.
Please Note: This position has been reposted; it closes Thursday, July 1, 2021. Those who havealready applied do not need to reapply to be considered.
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of this position may be invited to participate in a selection process to include a panel interview and skills assessment.
Final selection is contingent upon a background check which includes:
- Criminal Background screening for the past 7 years
- Drug Testing
- Medical Examination, to include an Audiogram and Pulmonary Function Test
Click here to view the entire job description.
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time.
Education and Experience:
- A high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) equivalent.
- Two years' experience in the operation of advanced, complex wastewater treatment facilities.
- Experience with advanced computerized systems utilized in wastewater treatment facilities.
- Experience in mechanical and electrical trouble shooting.
- Satisfactory completion of the Scottsdale Water/Wastewater Treatment Operator Apprentice Program will meet the required years of experience for the Water/Wastewater TreatmentPlant Operator II.
Licensing, Certifications and Other Requirements:
The Scottsdale Water Resources Division offers an Operator Certification Incentive Program for those employees who obtain certifications above what is required of their positions. The department recognizes the intrinsic value of operator certifications and the added value to the cityof having a workforce that possess them.
Depending on job discipline, obtain and maintain one of the following:
- Must possess upon hire or promotion, and maintain a Grade 2 operator certificationfrom the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality within the discipline of Wastewater Treatment.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending ondepartment/section assignment.
- Laboratory practices required to properly evaluate treatment processes, such as Biochemical Oxygen Demand (BOD), DO, pH, jar test, CL2 residual, turbidity, Chemical Oxygen Demand (COD), color, hardness, TSS, TDS, fecal coliforms and total coliforms.
- Chemical/physical and biological processes used in wastewater treatment processes, such as coagulation, flocculation, settling, sedimentation, filtration, disinfection and activated sludge.
- Basic operational practices and principles of advanced water treatment processes such as micro-filtration and reverse osmosis.
- Maintains and operates plant equipment and processes related to water, wastewater andadvanced water treatment systems on an assigned shift.
- Prioritizes activities between the different treatment facilities and systems, including the operation of valves, gates, pumps, and machinery manually, locally in automatic mode or remote via computerized controlstrategy.
- Samples and analyzes influents/effluents, source water/product water, feed water, and permeate to detect quality variations, interpret laboratory results, reading sheets, process test, computerized data, and information trends to identify variations in flow and water quality and make appropriate changes.
- Oversees operation of an assigned treatment facility to maintain day to day operation necessary to meet all required Local, State and Federal regulations pertaining to the production of reuse, ground injection and potable water and comply with prescribed operating and safety standards.
- Uses a variety of standard testing procedures to determine problems and any adjustments needed in the treatment process.
- Conducts tours of facilities; responds to plant emergencies; and maintains a safe, clean and orderly work environment.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Works with highly hazardous chemicals such as chlorine, sulfuric acid and sulfur dioxide following strict Arizona Department of Occupational Safety and Health (ADOSH) and Water Resources departmental guidelines.
- Work around or uses potentially hazardous materials requiring the use of specialized equipment.
- Lift and carry materials weighing up to 50 pounds both short and long distances.
- Lift and carry heavy (up to 100 pounds or more) equipment, drums and chemicals for distances of 20 feet or more with the assistance of a hand cart or power equipment.
- Perceive and discriminate colors or shades of colors, sounds, odor, depth and visual cues or signals.
- Exert moderate, though not constant physical effort, typically involving some combination of climbing and balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, climbing stairs, lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of moderate weight (12-20 pounds).
- Seldom sedentary and includes walking or moving.
- Work sometimes involves climbing elevations; requires moderate muscular exertion and lifting.
- Moderate exposure to dirt, dust, pollen, odors, wetness, humidity, rain, temperature and noise extremes, fumes, hazardous materials, machinery, vibrations, electric currents, traffic hazards, water hazards, bright/dim light, toxic agents, disease or pathogenic substances.
- Work rotating shifts, weekends, overtime and a call-out schedule.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
It is the policy of the city to provide employmentopportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, nationalorigin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualifiedapplicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contactHuman Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request areasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should bemade 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. ForTTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480)312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer andemployee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer andrequirements of the position change.
FILE APPLICATIONS ONLINE AT: http://www.scottsdaleaz.gov
Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator II - Reclamation Services Supplemental Questionnaire
*1. This position requires a High School diploma or General Educational Development (GED) equivalent. Do you have a high school diploma or GED equivalent? NOTE: If you answered yes to this question, this information must be included in the "Education" section of your application.
*2. Do you have at least 2 years' experience in the operation of an advanced, complex wastewater treatment facility? NOTE: If you have this experience, you must include it in the "Work Experience" section of your application.
*3. If you answered yes to question #2 above, describe the functions you performed in detail and indicate the number of years' experience. NOTE: Experience mentioned here must be shown in the "Work Experience" section of the application. If you don't have this experience, write "None."
*4. Briefly describe your experience with advanced computerized systems utilized in wastewater treatment facilities. NOTE: If you have this experience, it must be included in the Work Experience section of your application. If you do not have this experience, write "None."
*5. Briefly describe your experience in mechanical and electrical trouble shooting. NOTE: If you have this experience, it must be included in the "Work Experience" section of your application. If you do not have this experience, write "None."
*6. Have you satisfactorily completed the Scottsdale Water/Wastewater Treatment Operator Apprentice Program? NOTE: If you have this experience, it must be included in the Work Experience section of your application. If you do not have this experience, write "None."
*7. Do you possess, or have the ability to obtain through reciprocity at time of hire or promotion, a Grade 2 operator certification from ADEQ within the discipline of Wastewater Treatment?
*8. If you currently possess a State issued Operator certification, provide the state in which it was issued, to include the grade level and applicable expiration date. NOTE: If you currently possess an Operator certification, you must also include this information in the "Certifications and Licenses" section of your application.
* Required Question