This role has tactical leadership for a division of 13 operations staff to provide Durham’s citizens with cost effective wastewater treatment and residual management services. One of two wastewater facilities operated by the City, the South Durham Water Reclamation Facility is a 20 MGD five stage Bardenpho nutrient removal facility discharging into New Hope Creek, a tributary of Jordan Lake. The City is embarking on a number of large capital projects to ensure on-going compliance with stringent nutrient reductions required by the Jordan Lake Rules.
The successful candidate will have the ability to anticipate and resolve issues with interpersonal skills to work with all levels of staff as well as representatives of various state and regional agencies regarding regulatory compliance and environmental rules. This role requires sound technical knowledge of the wastewater industry including solid analytical and problem solving skills, familiarity with SCADA systems and data driven management. We are seeking a leader to implement projects and work across business lines to drive projects to completion with oversight for daily operations and maintenance, surveying the facility for maintenance deficiencies; processing work orders; maintaining material & chemical inventory; identifying and prioritizing equipment repairs.
- Associates degree within an industry-related area such as Civil/Industrial/Environmental Science/Construction Engineering/Public Administration. 8 years of experience will substitute for education
- Minimum 4 yrs. related experience with wastewater operations and/or systems
- NC Grade III Wastewater Treatment certification*
- Valid NC Class C Driver’s License*
*NC Grade IV certification obtained within 1 year of hire and out-of-state DL within 90 days of hire)
- 2+ years in a leadership role
- NC Land Application Certification (Obtained within 1 year of placement)
Enjoy our Benefits:
- Immediate contribution to 401(k) with automatic 5% employer contribution
- 457 Deferred Compensation, Roth 401(k), and 529 College Savings Plan options available
- Retirement Plan with 100% vestment in five years
- Retirement Health Savings Plan with employer contribution for medical expenses at retirement
- Life insurance paid up to annual salary; options for more
- Flex Spending Accounts for dependent care and medical expenses
- Medical plans discounted through wellness credits
- Vision & dental plans
- EAP services
- Generous annual leave plus 10 holidays with extra days through the holiday seasons
EOE - Individuals selected for offers of employment must pass the City of Durham physical examination, substance testing, and DMV/background investigation. You must have the legal right to work in the US. The City will not sponsor any applicant to obtain documentation of that right to work.