The Semitropic Water Storage District (District) is responsible for the importation and delivery of surface water to our agricultural lands to reduce the demand upon the local groundwater basin. In addition to the delivery of surface water, the District operates a water banking program which stores available surface waters within the District for recovery to our banking partners when needed.
The District is seeking applicants for a Project Engineer position. The Project Engineer assists with planning and managing the District’s water distribution and banking activities, and provides administrative support to the Engineering Department.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume via email to email@example.com or mail to Semitropic Water Storage District, Attention: District Engineer, Post Office Box 8043, Wasco, CA 93280.
Completion of a Bachelor of Science Degree in Agricultural or Civil Engineering is required.
Generous benefits package, including health, dental, and vision benefits, flexible spending account, retirement plan with District contributing 10% of the employees regular salary, vacation and sick leave and observance of eight holidays, plus one floating holiday; salary dependent upon qualifications.
Under the direction of the District Engineer, assists with the District's engineeringactivities and services. Assists with coordinating and implementing studies, grants andprograms related to irrigation district services and banking activities. Performs a variety of engineering field and office duties, may manage contractors and consultants for specific tasks; serve as project engineer for public works projects; advise operations and maintenance staff on engineering matters; and draft reports for supervisory review including hydrologic, environmental, engineering, and feasibility reports.
- Prepares designs, plans and specifications for the construction and development of District facilities.
- Assists engineering staff with the collection, analysis and refinement of field data.
- Prepares estimates of materials and quantities in the development of plans, profiles,maps, and drawings for construction projects.
- Prepares requests for proposals for construction projects, including grant fundedprojects.
- Assists with overseeing engineering work on current capital and public works improvement projects; review plans and specifications; attend meetings; confer and coordinate with District staff, contractors, consultants, and others.
- Prepares environmental assessment reviews. Assists in preparation of environmental documents for CEQA and NEPA compliance.
- Assists in preparation of documents for permitting and regulatory compliance.
- Prepares detailed written memoranda and reports on technical assignments.
- Provides responsible staff assistance to the District Engineer; prepares and reviewsdocuments and reports; prepares and presents staff reports and other necessarycorrespondence.
- Ensures that District standards are met for drawings, plans, maps, filing,construction and other work.
- Assists with compilation, preparation and maintenance of District's asset management of District facilities.
- Represents the District in coordination with other utilities, regulatory agencies,governmental bodies, planning agencies, trade and professional associations,technical groups, and developers.
- Establishes and maintains cooperative working relationships with co-workers,outside agencies, farmers/landowners and the public.
- Demonstrates regular attendance and adherence to prescribed work schedule toconduct job responsibilities.
Coordinates with maintenance and water operations departments to meet District objectives.
Education and Experience
- Education: Completion of a Bachelor of Science Degree from an accredited collegeor university in Agricultural or Civil Engineering.
- Education: Emphasis on water resources engineering.
- Experience: Minimum of one to two years of increasingly responsible professionalengineering experience demonstrating skills mentioned above.
Certificates and Licenses
- Engineer-in-Training certification or Professional Engineer licensure is preferred, orapplicant's willingness to obtain Professional Engineer licensure.
- Possession of a valid California Driver’s License.