$33,633.60 - $50,876.80 Annually
Under the general direction of the designated supervisor, the incumbent performs semi-skilled work in the operation of equipment and devices used in the maintenance of City streets including, but not limited to the repair of pavement, sinkholes and potholes, rights-of-ways, canals, roadways, solid waste disposal, sewer, stormwater repair & maintenance, parks and recreational facilities, and construction projects. This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Responsibilities and Reporting During an Emergency Situation:
Essential Employees may be required to work during a declared emergency. Depending on the nature of the emergency, this may require working around the clock for several days on short notice.
Non Essential Employees will not be required to work during a declared emergency. The employee's Department Head will determine when the employee will be required to work.
- Operates mechanical equipment, including but not limited to; small backhoe, Scat back, dump truck, Flusher, vacuum/jetter truck, flatbed truck, front loader, grader, mower, Peterson Lightning Loader, light landscaping equipment, brush loader truck.
- Prepares assigned equipment for daily work orders by daily inspecting prior to and after use, and performing regular maintenance and minor repair as directed.
- Constructs, repairs and maintains city streets and sidewalks.
- Cleans out sewer/storm water pipes with vacuum truck.
- Assists with slope mow grass on canals and ditches.
- Performs after hour service as assigned.
- Ensures the safe loading, unloading and operating condition of equipment through daily safety inspections for defects, malfunction, or otherwise substandard conditions. Identifies and takes corrective action or advises supervisor.
- Participates in on-call duty.
- Repairs and maintains Sewer, Water, and Stormwater assets.
- Requires to operate a motor vehicle in performance of assigned tasks.
- This position requires regular and reliable attendance and the employee's physical presence at the workplace
- Performs other duties as assigned.
When Assigned to Water or Sewer, or Stormwater Distribution:
- Operates a vacuum/jetter truck, Valve Machine, Skidsteer, slope mower, flat deck/bush hog mower, excavator and other essential equipment to accomplish the task.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledgeable in various types of semi-skilled manual work performed in maintenance and repair of municipal storm water systems, irrigation, roadways, and/or related structures.
- Knowledgeable in various types of manual, gas, or diesel powered equipment employed in maintenance and repair of municipal storm water systems, irrigation, roadways, and/or related structures.
- Knowledgeable in occupational safety rules, practices and personal protective equipment associated with performing duties using heavy equipment, in traffic and in adverse weather conditions.
- Knowledgeable in the City and State rules, regulations and protocols.
- Skilled in the safe use and operation of various maintenance and repair tools and light gas or diesel powered equipment
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to adapt to performing under frequent deadlines and/or in response to emergencies.
- Ability to operate necessary equipment.
- Ability to follow both oral and written directions.
- Ability to recognize and address common safety issues in the field
- Ability to detect improper functioning mechanical systems
- High School diploma or GED.
- One (1) year experience in the operation of equipment including, but not limited to regular boom grad-all, asphalt patch truck, small backhoe, Scatback, Flusher, sewer cleaning truck, dump truck, vacuum/jetter truck, dump truck with tandem trailer attached, flatbed, front loader, grader, or similar equipment.
- Mandatory Department of Transportation (D.O.T.) Drug/Alcohol Testing required.
- Must possess a valid Florida Class "A" Commercial Driver's License with tanker endorsement with an acceptable driving record.
When Assigned to Water Distribution:
- Must hold a State of Florida Level three (3) or higher Water Distribution System Operator License at the time of hire, or be able to obtain within eighteen (18) months from date of hire.
This work typically requires the following physical activities to be performed.
- Balancing – maintain equilibrium to prevent falling while walking, standing, or crouching.
- Climbing – ascending, descending ladders, stairs, ramps, requires body agility.
- Crawling – moving about on hands, knees, or hands, feet.
- Crouching – bending body forward by bending leg, spine.
- Feeling – perceiving attributes of objects by touch with skin, fingertips.
- Fingering – picking, pinching, typing, working with fingers rather than hand.
- Grasping – applying pressure to object with fingers, palm.
- Handling – picking, holding, or working with whole hand.
- Hearing 1 – perceiving sounds at normal speaking levels, receive information.
- Hearing 2 – receive detailed information, make discrimination in sound.
- Kneeling – bending legs at knee to come to rest at knees.
- Lifting – raising objects from lower to higher position, moving objects side to side, using upper extremities, back.
- Pushing – use upper extremities to press against objects with force, or thrust forward, downward, outward.
- Reaching – extending hands or arms in any direction.
- Repetitive Motion – substantial movements of wrists, hands, fingers.
- Speaking – expressing ideas with spoken word, convey detailed, important instructions accurately, concisely.
- Standing – for sustained periods of time.
- Stooping – bending body downward, forward at waist, with full motion of lower extremities and back.
- Talking 1- expressing ideas by spoken word
- Talking 2 – shouting to be heard above ambient noise.
- Visual Acuity 2 - color, depth perception, field of vision.
- Visual Acuity 3 - determine accuracy, neatness, observe facilities/structures.
- Visual Acuity 4 - operate motor vehicles/heavy equipment.
- Visual Acuity 5 -close acuity for inspection of small defects, machines, use measurement devices, or fabricate parts.
- Walking - on foot to accomplish tasks, long distances, or site to site.
- Mental Acuity – ability to make rational decisions through sound logic, deductive reasoning.
- Pulling - use upper extremities to exert force, haul or tug.
Work performed is primarily:
- Very heavy work: Exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Tasks are performed outside, subject to weather conditions and uneven terrain, and risk of exposure to toxic agents/chemicals, pathogens, and smoke.
- Must have the ability to work after hours, including nights, weekends, holidays and during emergencies.
- May be required to work hours other than the regular schedule including on call hours
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential job functions satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary job functions described herein. Since every duty associated with this position may not be described herein, employees may be required to perform duties not specifically spelled out in the job description, but which may be reasonably considered to be incidental in the performing of their duties just as though they were actually written out in this job description.